Ruger Max-9 . . . MERGED THREADS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
hittman said:
Kevin said:
the slide locked open with more ammo in the magazine.
even once is far too much

The gun shoot low. Like 18 - 24 inches low at 10 yards.

Each of us have different expectations and decide how tolerant we can be with certain items.

I'm one to always give a semi-auto a fair shake with a break in of at least 300 rounds but,
those two things above from your review are deal breakers for me. Life's too short and times too valuable and ammo is too expensive to put up with guns (tools) that aren't reliable and dependable. But, that's just me.

Love, love, love my Rugers but not the ones I have no confidence in.

My Glock 43 right out of the box digested 800 rounds over the first 2 weeks I owned it. Never a hiccup.

A year ago I bought a Glock 19x ….. over 1000 rounds now and never even ONE issue.

Bought an old used Walther PP in 380 …… its flawless.

My Ruger Lightweight Commander in 9mm is also a perfectly functioning gun.

Once I finally decided to have higher standards I've had no regrets.

This guy right here just nailed it. I'm a Ruger fan too but their post SR9 series pistols have been mostly subpar. There are too many other good choices out there to fool with them.

Mike J

Hunter
Kevin said:
First, I took it back to the range, all the problems were still there. The slingshot method of closing the slide didn't work, and one more time, the slide locked open on a still loaded magazine. And yes, it still shot low, until the pistol got warm, not hot, just warm, and then the accuracy got even worse.

Because of all this, I did in fact send it back. I called, and I got the impression the guy I spoke with just didn't really believe me. He had me take the slide off and look at the slide lock lever. It functioned just fine. So he finally gave me a Fed Ex shipping label.

Overall I do like the gun, the grip is nice, and the trigger is exceptional. I'll report back here what they do.

Thanks for the update. I keep looking at this type of pistol & more choices keep coming available. I don't have to buy anything right now but eventually I will probably wind up with one of this type. I would be interested to know what customer service does.

I would be interested to know what customer service does.

I too am curious. Whatever it was, through email, I saw they got the pistol yesterday, and I just got a tracking number from Fed Ex, I'll have it back on Monday. I certainly hope it's better!

I got my Max 9 back this morning. The paper work said they replaced the slide stop spring. It also said they test fired 40 rounds of ammo without any issue. I hope it's fixed. I'll get out and test it as soon as I can.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Looked at a Shield Plus and a Hellcat. The Max 9 floated my boat so I bought it.

200 rounds without a hiccup. Unfortunately some of the ranges at my club were closed and I was stuck with a 25 yard outdoor range on a windy day. Not my choice for testing a new carry, buttttt....

It shot slightly to the right and about 10" low. Drifting the rear sight brought it to center. I suspect at normal ranges it will shoot to aim.

As far as slide stop or slingshot, it performed as expected. No issues at all. 100% reliable. Comparable to my Glock, but much more attractive.

Verrrrry happy with this new pistol.

leadhead2

Bearcat
How did you move the rear sight? I tried to move mine with a brass punch
and hammer, but it would not move. Did you use a sight tool?
Thanks for any info...
Denny

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
leadhead2 said:
How did you move the rear sight? I tried to move mine with a brass punch
and hammer, but it would not move. Did you use a sight tool?
Thanks for any info...
Denny
First of all I field stripped the gun so I could lay the slide down firmly on its side on a hard surface covered with a cloth. I marked the sight position with a pencil, then I tapped it with a hardwood dowel and a tack hammer. It took a couple of fairly hard taps. No more difficult than any other dovetailed sight I adjusted in the past.

In follow up to my last comments, she now has 350 rounds down the pipe and has smoothened up nicely. Yet to see any malfunction at all. At 10 yards, it shoots 2" low. On target at 5 yards. I added a CT red dot reflex and its now dialed in at between 10-15 yards.

xtratoy

Buckeye
How is the force required to cycle the slide? Lately there has been a lot of discussion about this especially for women and arthritis challenged people. How does it cycle compared to a S&W EZ9 Shield? Wondering because my wife doesn't like cycling what I have available.

Latest posts