NEW P345 45 AUTO. 2004 MODEL OPINIONS NEEDED PLEASE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dbuffington1

Bearcat
Can someone who has one of these tell me in their opinion how they like it pros & cons. Found a new in the box with all the paperwork. Not a lot of time to decide so if anyone can help I would be grateful. Thanks Dean

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Buy it! Love it. Just a great gun to handle, so solid and reliable. My favorite P gun is still the P93 because of how it fits me but they all are great. Ruger's timing was just off with the series when they introduced the P85 (Glock was new) but I see more and more people reconnecting with these.

I think you had some other posts on the P-series. I've got a YT video out there on the P guns if you care to watch. Was fun rounding up the various ones and talking through them.

TomD

hittman

Staff member
I'd probably take a chance on one if I ever see one for sale.

loaded round

Hunter
I have owned a P345 since the day Ruger released them and it's been a very good accurate and dependable pistol. The one thing I did do along with most others who own this pistol is ''clean the rear sight''. That expression means remove the rear sight and then remove the magazine safety components under the sight. This simple procedure makes the P345 pistol extemly reliable and does prevent the dreaded ''click, no bang'' when you pull the trigger. Procedures for removing the magazine safety are on the internet if you care to check it out. The P345 in all models is basically a very good firearm.

dbuffington1

Bearcat
I looked that up it showed a schematic for the P345. Parts # 6 & # 7 need to be removed to disconnect the magazine safety.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Just spotted this one today. Looks really nice. "Near new, with case". NRA edition. $640

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/ruger-pistols/ruger-p345-nra-45-auto.cfm?gun_id=101636492

TomD

hittman

Staff member
Talk about sticker shock :shock: ...... I'm assuming that must be a panic / pandemic price hoping to capitalize on the political environment.

dbuffington1

Bearcat
06dilly. I saw that one the other day also. If it is what you want buy it. I seen a lot in the $550.00 range. But to many scratches & marks for me. I collect so I wanted one that was as close to new as I could get. Good Luck

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I've had mine for a long time and like it quite a bit. I've even carried it from time to time. You can damage the firing pin if you dry fire it with the magazine removed which is why I removed the magazine safety from mine the second I got it home.

Koyote

Bearcat
I have nothing to but good things to say about my KP345PR which I purchased in 2006. I bought it for HD. Back in early 60's I used to carry a 1911 and when I went shopping, naturally I first asked for one of those. However, in my old age, I found it difficult to due to overall size and weight. I had read many articles on the P345 and everything they said about it, proved to be true, lighter and generally more compact; even a woman would like it. I mention that because when I took my wife out shooting with it, she fired a magazine's worth of ammo and she got downright giddy on the drive home. she had never fired a pistol before. For a DA, it was accurate enough for me to get my CCP. With only 8 + 1 rds. in a mag. I was able to carry it over to CA and show it to my son and G'daughter. She liked it even more then the new Kimber she had just bought. Needless to say I am a fan of this pistol which I know will last for generations to come.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Blackhawk wrote: " Good gun but don't dry fire it without the magazine in."

That is true. I had one but in a weak moment sold it. It was the most accurate 45 ACP I ever owned and fired. In over 800 rounds I put through it, I never had a failure of any kind.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
I had one several years ago and traded it, what a mistake. I searched for five years for another and couldn't find another replacement. Last week my LGS had a trade in, to my surprise it came with the all the factory goodies and looks like it had came from the factory. The best part 330 out the door. Even an old geezer finds a good deal sometimes.

Latest posts