Gonna have to call the bunny cops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Some of their "livestock" is causing a lot of damage on my land. I doubt I'll get much (any) help since they haven't helped much in the past. The only time we've had any cooperation was 4 years ago when the muskrats undermined the county road and then the beavers backed water up into those tunnels collapsing a section of road. When the county complained to MDC, we got bit of consideration. I ended up with a SOS permit for damage control that reduced the numbers for a couple years.
Unfortunately, we know how rodents multiply and it hasn't taken long for the damage to show up again. I now have farmland that is under water due to beavers damming a drainage ditch. In only 2 weeks, the beavers have raised the water level more than 2' flooding several acres of highly productive ground.

Left 2 messages on the cell phone number listed for the local bunny cop but no response. Good thing I wasn't calling about a marauding mountain lion in my goat pasture.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you had called about a mountain lion in your goats, & said; "I'm going to shoot it" & hung up, I'd bet you would have had a visitor pretty quickly.

Yeah, no kidding. Guess what the Amish did when they surrounded and killed a cougar 80 miles southeast of here a few years back? They killed the cat and contacted the local TV and radio station before contacting MDC. By the time the flock of high level bunny cop dudes arrived, it was already a news event. After that, what could MDC really say???

Update: bunny cops ==no help. Beaver dam not on my property. Actual property owner where dam is located unknown. Last known to be owned by an estate in Louisiana, managed by a bank in ILL, and hunting rights leased to an outfitter from Iowa. Not on my "FAVE list" after they got billed for $15,000 for new fencing and took 3 months to pay.
County Courthouse still "on lockdown" (meaning most of the elected county officials are spending quality time w/o the public disturbing their naps) so I can't access the Recorder or Assessor records.
Grandson was going to begin his farming career on the ground that's now underwater. Not happening this year.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you have a lawyer friend,, maybe he could get the info you seek on the owners of the property. His "inquiries" could casually mention needing information on a possible lawsuit. It may open a few doors.
I have a few lawyer friends,, and they know how to word things to where folks pay attention, & stuff gets fixed a lot quicker that way.
Having him ask for records of ownership, as he casually mentions the possible lawsuit against the owners of the property for causing damage to AG property, disrupting livelihoods, loss of income, and things may happen.

contender

Ruger Guru
Another idea.
Here in NC,, the County tax office, as well as the Register of Deeds, has a system, used by real estate agents daily, called the "GIS" system. It allows anybody to look up who owns property easily. Maybe a phone call to the County, or a local RE agent could get you info on the owners.

Just to clear this problem, I've contacted the leasee of the property who is going to meet with me this evening. He understands my problem and is willing to allow me to handle the issues as needed. I also dug deeper into the regulations and found that I don't have to play "Mother may I?" with the bunny cops but do have to report and turn in anything I remove out of normal season/method. I look forward to handing off some 3-4 day old beaver carcasses come warm weather--may take them directly to the District HQ and drop them at the front desk.

Mobuck said:
Just to clear this problem, I've contacted the leasee of the property who is going to meet with me this evening. He understands my problem and is willing to allow me to handle the issues as needed. I also dug deeper into the regulations and found that I don't have to play "Mother may I?" with the bunny cops but do have to report and turn in anything I remove out of normal season/method. I look forward to handing off some 3-4 day old beaver carcasses come warm weather--may take them directly to the District HQ and drop them at the front desk.
8) :D Happy hunting!
gramps