Ruger wrangler will a 22 mag single six cylinder fit one

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I looked at a ruger wrangler 22 today the army green one .They look pretty good for $200 .The guy at bass pro said people are using 22 mag cylinders in them .I also saw where you can reduce the trigger pull by unwrapping the latch on the spring in the grip.
They had a ruger 22 single ten I really liked that but $619 fits my hand good felt like a real good pistol .I regret getting a single six whey they were $200 .I have two ruger single 6 pistols in 32 HR mag they are awesome very accurate .The wrangler is a good buy at $200 just wish it had better sites .I have to decide tommorow it's the last one left !

woodsy

Blackhawk
The "other" Ruger forum had the question of cylinder compatibility come up a couple times, and the consensus is that it won't work.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
57springer said:
Research it , the frame will not take it !

Most likely due to the alum alloy mainframe.

Is it the overall length of the Wrangler cyl window that's the issue? If so, real easy to fit the Mag cyl.
And then just shoot .22 WRF ammo, lower pressure, cheaper than Mags, and close in ballistics.

louiethelump

Buckeye
One of my magnum cylinders drops right into one of my Wranglers and works just fine. The frame being aluminum has no bearing as the 22 magnum operates at the same pressure as high velocity 22 lr so to the frame there is no difference. If you doubt the pressure issue look up SAAMI specs for both cartridges. The magnum cylinders vary a bit so some will work unaltered and some will not. I don't want to alter a magnum cylinder so if it does not drop in I don't use it.

And for those who care . . .

SAAMI pressures in PSI . . . Maximum Average Pressure/ Maximum Probable Lot Mean/ Maximum Probable Sample Mean

22 Long Rifle 24000/24600/25500

22 Winchester Magnum(2) 24000/25500/27800

(2)Experience has shown that with the 22 WMR cartridge variations that are higher than normal Rimfire occur. As a result, a standard deviation of 2,400 psi has been established

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Most likely Ruger thought of it first and doesn't want you to do it. They probably want to sell as many Wranglers a they can now then come out with a dual cyl. model and sell a bunch more of those.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
Yep I was told it's really just a aluminum framed single six pistol .I better go get a wrangler to carry for snakes looks like a good deal .I do wish it had better sites too .I just can't see spending $600 on a single six these days to beat around in a tackle box or bang around .These wranglers look like a good buy in todays crazy world .They might be the next paddle stock pistols worth $1000 if they quit making them too .

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
The bore diameter for .22 Mag is slightly larger than .22 LR. Anybody know what the bore actually is on the Wrangler?
Best,
Rob

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, the Ruger Long Rifle bore (diameter between the lands) was .217" until the late 1950's (serial # 150,000), and .219" for all their barrels since then to accommodate the magnum bullets.

Ruger would not make special barrels with a .22 LR only bore nor change to a different bore size for the Wrangler from all they're other 22 barrel production after 50 Years! Therefore, although I've never had a Wrangler to slug the barrel and confirm the bore size, I have no doubt that the Wrangler barrel bore is also .219".

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Since it's a fixed sight I'd just decide which caliber I wanted it in . If it needed to be a magnum I'd have the cylinder reamed to fit and make it a magnum only. A Single six cylinder won't fit mine at all. Not even close.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The LR and Magnum shoot to same point of aim at reasonable ranges in all my convertible Rugers.

"Not even close" is relative. They're not more than a few thousandths difference. That's pretty simple to fit.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
The LR and Magnum shoot to same point of aim at reasonable ranges in all my convertible Rugers.

"Not even close" is relative. They're not more than a few thousandths difference. That's pretty simple to fit.
When I said mine wasn't even close I mean the single six cylinder wouldn't go in the frame. I thought the cylinder length of the boss on the end or something was designed differently by Ruger so the couldn't be interchanged at all. I may have to investigate further.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
protoolman said:
Hondo44 said:

When I said mine wasn't even close I mean the single six cylinder wouldn't go in the frame. I thought the cylinder length of the boss on the end or something was designed differently by Ruger so the couldn't be interchanged at all. I may have to investigate further.

Even between standard single six models, cylinders will not all interchange w/o slight fitting, and some cyls won't fit in the frame of another single six. The Wrangler cyl hubs are not designed differently than standard single sixes, it's just the slight variation in manufacturing tolerances.

The cyl hubs can be as little as only .001" too long to not fit in another gun. That's common and sometimes as little as only .001" too short. A cyl that's too long is always easier to fit to another frame. Very simple to just use a stone on the hub to fit the cyl to another gun.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
Hondo44 said:

Not that I even care or wanted to do it, but I just couldn't resist the challenge.

Both of my SS mag cylinders fit nicely inside the frame of both of my Wranglers. With the gate open the cylinders also rotated nicely in both directions. But close the gate and try to cock the hammer and "not even close".....LOL. If you look at the back of the cylinders the design is completely different.

Latest posts