IWB holsters while driving

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After losing about 25 pounds I found that I could use IWB holsters again, and I do like the greater concealment that they offer over OWB holsters, but I've found a problem when driving. Not only does the butt of the gun dig into me a bit, but the entire holster seems to get pushed up and almost unclipped from my belt due to the sitting position. As soon as I stop and get out of the car I have to push the holster down, an action pretty obvious to anyone observing me getting out of my car. It's making me go back to my OWB holsters for either my LC9s or my Glock 26. How do others deal with this issue? Typically I am wearing the IWB holster at about 2:00 to 2:30 so that I still have use of my right front pocket.

Cholo

Staff member
Almost unclipped? You should never have to mess with a holster once your gun is in it, ever! Find one that actually attaches to your belt and also try positioning it in a different spot. 2-2:30 may help you be able to use your right pocket, but obviously it's not working for your holstered gun.

Besides the location around your waist, height of holster on your belt makes a difference. OWB can and most ride higher than IWB. I do not use clips to hold a holster in place, but many do. Those have a habit of been removed and placed in a desk drawer, on the toilet paper roll holder in men's or even ladies room. And than left there.
Problem with a holster and really CCW holsters is you should try them on before buying. Just like shoes, try on, sit ,walk around store and really learn if it fits you and your needs.

kmoore said:
Problem with a holster and really CCW holsters is you should try them on before buying. Just like shoes, try on, sit ,walk around store and really learn if it fits you and your needs.

I rarely have bought a holster from a physical store. Most of my holsters were bought online. Like many here on t he Forum, I have a large plastic bin with dozens and dozens of holsters that I no longer use. Some are for guns that I have added laser to and so the holster no longer fits, and some are for guns that I no longer own. But many are ones that I bought thinking that this would be my new every day holster, only to find it does not work for me. For the three carry guns that I use, I have pocket holsters for all of them, OWB for all of them, and IWB for two of the three. I guess the search for the perfect, never-will-need-to-be-replaced holster never really ends.

I've always thought I could watch guys getting out of their cars and tell who is carrying by their doing an 'adjustment'.

I generally carry using an inside the waste band leather holster but I have it inside the belt but outside the pants... usually no problem with driving... but it probably has to do with the size pistol I carry and location on the belt.

Pocket holsters work well if the gun will fit in the pocket. I have carried a glock 26, S&W 442, Berretta .25 cal, Jennings .22lr, mostly a Kel tac .380 in a front pants pocket. If driving I remove them and find a spot where I can get it if needed. Before stepping out place back in pocket. On those cold days that can transfer into a jacket pocket. Depends on where pockets are.

One reason I will not use an IWB holster. I believe you should carry your handgun in the same place every time. It would darned inconvenient to reach for a handgun on your strong side when it's in an ankle holster. While I carry a variety of handguns, invariably they are carried OWB cross draw.

You should learn to carry a gun in a place that works for what you need that day. Yea, some will not practice drawing, holstering, shooting. Those types need to be a same gun, same place, same holster.
I big game hunt with lever actions, left handed bolts, right handed bolts. semi autos, scopes of different sizes, several have iron sights. Some are just faster to get into action than others, but I have never forgot how to shoot/operate what's in my hands.
When CCW, it's not much different. I know where that gun is and how to get it into play went needed be it revolver, semi-auto, ankle holster, shoulder holster, hip holster pocket holster. I also train at a range and in the house. The weight and location of a CCW remind me where it is without thinking about it.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I am never holstered on my person when in a vehicle. Why be uncomfortable and restrict access to the gun too? My vehicles have holsters fastened to the seat belt base on my right side between the seat and console. Tucked in securely and easy to move from my person to the vehicle holster and back again. I use oversized zip ties to fasten everything down and nothing has moved out of place yet. Sounds like you have plenty of extra holsters so why not give it a try?

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I use an Alien Gear IWB holster for my Sig 238 about 5:00 and hardly notice it, even when driving and riding for 9 hours. The only thing I don't like about IWB rigs is when I wear my shirt tucked I am probably too slow if I ever have to draw from it. So far it has been there to make me feel fully dressed and turned out. Hope it stays that way, but one never knows what the day may bring.

"I am never holstered on my person when in a vehicle. Why be uncomfortable and restrict access to the gun too? "

Maybe you don't enter/exit the vehicle as much as others do. I unholstered and reholstered for every stop, my workday would be miserable.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
All depends upon your body shape , gun holster, trousers , and your body shape . For some people IWB during extended driving just doesn't work out .

Ethang

Blackhawk
If your IWB is getting pushed up that much you should re-evaluate that belt/holster system. One or the other is not working right. I have some good IWB rigs that never move and I never have to adjust, but those have belt loops so not easy to take off. My daily holster is one with a clip so I can pull it off at work and home without much fanfare. It does move around more, but does not get pushed up when in the car. Congrats on the losing weight though. I think most of us could stand to lose a few.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
However you carry it while on your hind legs, a cheap nylon clip on cross draw stashed in the car can keep you dangerous while driving

BloodyThumb

Bearcat
I carry AIWB almost exclusively these days.

I have kydex holsters from various makers I have purchased online. One maker in particular that sells very well made ones for under $30 delivered.

I can attest that for me (5'10" - 180), as long as I make sure it has a quality clip shaped like the one below, and on a good gun belt (usually a $40 Desantis) they stay put in and out of a vehicle all day, up and down from a desk all day, with a P30, or a P365XL, or a HK45C, or a 4" 1911.

It has to do with the angles where the clip contacts the bottom of the belt. Many clips are rounded to make them easier to get on, but they will also push out easily. These are a little more difficult to put on if your belt is tight.... but they stay put, and come off easily. A good trade off in my opinion.

Other clips styles have varying success, but these work great for me. There are several sources for this shaped clip and a lot of holster makers use them.

81f8VKKdLcL._AC_SX425_.jpg