IWB holsters while driving

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stoble

Bearcat
Praise to you for the weight loss! It may be you will need to lose a little more so that the sitting position does not push flesh up against the gun enough to dislodge it. Try a 3.00 position because there will be little or no body parts pushing against it. That may solve your problem. Your leg and thigh are the issue with the 2.00 and 2.30 positions.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The basic problem here is modern vehicles. Hip holsters were fine when everyone rode horses or buckboards, etc. The other part of this is people. If half the country didn't have a sudden onset of the vapors whenever they saw something that looked like a firearm, all these carry problems (and the associated expense) would disappear.

Obviously, I'm living in the wrong century. :?

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Here's what works for me:

I keep a Ruger P89 in my driver's side door. It never leaves the car.

For carry on my person, I go with a .38 Ruger LCR. Pocket carry most of the time.

I use a IWB made by Kramer to carry a Colt 1911 at the 3 o'clock to 3:30. Have drove from Indianapolis to Pamama City, Florida and not had a problem with the gun. Have also did several trips with a cross draw Kramer IWB. The holster brand makes a difference on. how it carries. I worked a job that required you to wear a coat and tie and was never once called on having a gun using the Kramer holsters. I carry them on a Wal-Mart belt. I have a Red Nickels shoulder holster that I use most of the time anymore.

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
As a salesperson that drives over 40k miles annually I have migrated to a vertical shoulder holster.

'You do know all of the "experts" tell us we are wrong in our carry method.' (should have added the 'wink-wink')
"Experts" can't be expert in every facet of concealed carry and some are less expert than myself so I just take their comments as general advice and make my own decisions.
"As a salesperson that drives over 40k miles annually I have migrated to a vertical shoulder holster."
I used a shoulder holster for most of 20 years while working in a position that allowed the use. Unfortunately, I've developed a serious shoulder problem that significantly reduces my movements and reaching across my chest isn't in the plan these days. I can manage reaching an OWB cross draw positioned in front of my weak side hipbone. The KYDEX holster I use allows sliding the holster to the front slightly while seated leaving the pistol's grip above the seatbelt.

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
Agreed, finding what works best for you is paramount. Unfortunately the path may be long.

The road to a cross draw OWB was short. I began carrying cross very early on. Oh it wasn't really intended as cross but more as a cavalry draw.

First I'm a lefty. So when I started carrying a 1911 all the GI holsters were on the wrong side. Simple, really only, solution was to move it over to the left side. Worked okay and I found I could reach it pretty well with my off hand.

Flash forward and when I began carrying concealed it just seemed like a good idea to carry cross on my right side. Along the way I became friends with some folks who carried daily for work. They taught me how to draw correctly. Stuff about retention and body position and so on.

thor's daddy

Bearcat
BloodyThumb said:
... One maker in particular that sells very well made ones for under $30 delivered...

Can you share a brand name or a link to said manufacturer? Looking to try AIWB with one of my guns and not wanting to blow a bunch of cash only to find it's not working out.

Anyone remember an add from a famous holster maker about 19970s or 80s. It was a photo of every style of concealable holster they made worn all at once. The idea was pick what works for you.
After a pat down and search I once found a freedom arms .22lr in a guys underwear. An co worker found a gun on a women's head rolled up in her hair. Although neither would be fast to use they still had them.

semperdog

Bearcat
Spending a lot of time in the car pushed me to take another look at the shoulder harness idea

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I don't have any problem with my IWB coming unclipped, and I wear it at at 3:00.

OTOH, I use an Alien Gear holster and it's clips are extremely robust.

dweis

Blackhawk
When driving I take my Ruger Security 9 IWB holster off and insert the holster and pistol. Between the condole and drivers sear. In my vehicle that is a tight enough fit to assure the assembly will not fall.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I'm a large man and drive a Toyota 4Runner. I have no problems with a Glock 27 in an IWB holster.

anjlinastone

Bearcat
I think that IWB holsters while driving can be problem if they are not good quality. But if you have holsters like from Charter Tactical Store which are good and comfort and made of high qaulity material, then i think these are not a problem while driving. You can check these Holsters from here:
https://www.chartertactical.com/

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
I use the Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:30 and whether in my truck or sportscar, it really isn't too bad. After awhile, you forget it's there. The supertuck is by far the most comfortable holster I have had.

Almost unclipped? You should never have to mess with a holster once your gun is in it, ever! Find one that actually attaches to your belt and also try positioning it in a different spot. 2-2:30 may help you be able to use your right pocket, but obviously it's not working for your holstered gun.
Many of the holsters are made for easy on off because depending on where you live/work and where your travels take you may require the occasional disarm. I have a small safe bolted to the floor of my car for the quick in/outs. Admittedly I usually just drop the gun in and go. My new Clinger doesn't have the belt "hook" on the clip that many do. It does have a solid lip with an easily released clasp when needed.

Attachments

• 16718866395106860545167790118358.jpg
    16718866395106860545167790118358.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

dweis

Blackhawk
This will depend upon the interior design of your vehicle, I drive a 2017 Cadillac XT, an SUV. Have find that my IWB holster can easily be wedged between the seat and the console. It stays there very securely. So I bought a second holster and now when I get into the car whether I am IWB or OWB I put my pistol into what I now call my "car holster." It's much more accessible than any holster I might wear. If the carjacker find me he is going to see a quickly drawn 9mm in his face.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I never drive with my sp101 holstered. I put on a holster, then use a sticky holster for inside the car. Car jackings occur, I know not frequently, yet I don't want my weapon to be pinned to my side by a waistband, or seat belt.

Latest posts