14 Pictures of White Sands National Park NM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I hope ya'll aren't tired of my pictures. This is White Sands National Park. It used to a National Monument, but then in November or December of 2019, it bacame a National Park. The Tee Shirts at the gift shop with National Monument are 25% off right now by the way.

We stopped here twice. It's one of my favorite parks, very, very few people and the area is almost alien. Also, it isn't sand, the white stuff is Gypsum.

Full disclosure: on the days we were here, it was bright blue sky, no clouds, so the photos with clouds have been helped along with Photoshop. But they are my pictures so no harm. The cloud pictures are mine also, but taken in Arizona. So a couple of the pictures show the before photoshop and after photoshop.

JA2gvnal.jpg

PBPb7Stl.jpg

It's usually almost always windy in White Sands, and the ripples are wind formed. Plus, the dunes are moving because of all the wind. It will take a while, but eventually, the dunes will shuffle their way out of the park boundary.
eHetMnil.jpg

LPAbQDWl.jpg

N6LdfL1l.jpg

before:
oSDQQ3fl.jpg

after:
twVQ5iyl.jpg

RZlK34vl.jpg

YVogEHVl.jpg

Pec9IWYl.jpg

This one was interesting. It was on the trip back, after the snow storm, and that is Sierra Blanca in NM. the peak is 12,004 feet. White Sands is about 50 or 60 miles away as the crow flies.
x554aBpl.jpg

DsmXxbBl.jpg

fTYSiBml.jpg

rZx6GEal.jpg

street

Hunter
Thanks for showing us your photos. You made some plain photos really jump off the screen. Nice job. I know some will not like you changing things but an artist can paint anything the way he or she wants and it's call a masterpiece, but a photographer changes one thing then it's a fake. That's just not right!!!!! :roll:

Cholo

Staff member
That's really cool, Kevin! I'm making a list of the National Parks I havn't visited and I just put that one on the list. Cool pics, too! :)

Another new National Park, New River Gorge NP. Created as part of the last COVID-Relief bill. Go figure! About the exact opposite as your fantastic White Sands photos. I rafted there long ago.

Don Lovel

Hunter
One beautiful evening, I rode my Harley from Las Cruces to Alamagordo right at sunset and the White sands were purple and pink and orange with almost a mirror image of the sunset in pastel colors and shadows from the mountains. Very beautiful ride coming through the pass.
I did a big job for Union Pacific in that area and got to see much back country wildlife, Ibex, Oryx, Aoudad, big mule deer and Antelope all over the Tularosa valley and the areas on the missile range where UP tracks run. Got to watch F-15 and F-117 fighters do gunnery range and got to see B2 dropping practice bombs. Pretty cool stuff. Incredible place to stargaze on a clear night. Went snake hunting with a guy who sells venom to medical market and got to see a Gila Monster for the first time, incredible looking critters, he had a pink one and a calico looking one in his herp habitat.
Gave myself a bellyache from eating chili lime seasoned pistachios from the roadside stands at the nut orchards around Tularosa.

Flyfisher66048

Bearcat
Great pictures! Grew up in Alamogordo, and went to college in Las Cruces. Drank a lot of beer at White Sands back in the day. The amount of stars in the night over that area is amazing.

Thanks for the pics