What The Heck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not a lot posted here lately so I figured why not. The first one is a former 44 flat op that Hamilton Bowen converted to 45 Colt. Turnbull did the coloring and I slid in the Clements bisley spurred hammer and Persinger ivories.
2EKFxlz.jpg

w3sCOgW.jpg

The second gun is one that I got in a trade with John Gallagher just before he passed away last April. In his last few months John wanted to do two old model conversions in the same pattern Skeeter Skelton did. He told me he was checking with Bart Skelton for specifics on what his dad had done and then John built two of these guns. Both had special touches such as perfectly fit grip frames, regulated action screws and refinished factory XR3 grips. I sent a gun to John that he had built years before and which he actually used to take his last whitetail and he sent me what he said was the more accurate of the two 44 Specials.
hB50qlH.jpg

rJ1C5m5.jpg

After John passed away I decided I wanted to make the 44 Special what I all an heirloom gun which is one I will pass down to one of my children some day. With that in mind I talked to John's son Isaac, who is continuing the work of at Gallagher firearms in the same vein his father did, and got his okay to make some upgrades to the gun. What we decided to do was send the gun to Hamilton Bowen and Rob Rowen for these upgrades. Hamilton was a good friend of Johns and when I approached him with the idea he agreed to build and install one of his 5 1/2" ovate profile barrels. The barrel change required a small amount of micro welding on the front of the receiver to match the barrel profile so he had that performed as well. Once Hamilton was done the gun was sent to Rob Rowen for a set of walnut grips he had set aside for the project. Rob was a good friend of the late Roy Fishpaw and learned much of his craft from Roy and as such he is every bit the artist in grip make as Roy was.

Once Rob had the grips done the gun was sent back to Hamilton for a final check then he sent the gun down to Isaac where Isaac blued the gun since the micro welding had required the finish to be removed and he also reapplied his Gallagher Firearms logo to the top strap. The gun arrived back here just last week and it turned out to be everything I had hoped it would be and it will serve as a visceral and emotional reminder of my friend John. I posted the pictrues in order of the progression of the gun.
MIkaf3s.jpg

sMa4aee.jpg

aaN6Vz5.jpg

Aj9ra1b.jpg

3F1A26L.jpg

jJxo3yK.jpg

NqQ46xD.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
As always,, the beauty of some of your customs is quite pleasing. I really do like that set of grips. That wood is figured to where it compliments the whole package.

Great looking shooters and story.

All of these were done by Alan Harton in Houston and Turnbull did the Case Harden.
What I wanted to point out is how Alan does the Black Powder Bevel on the face of the cylinder. It is more of a flowing scallop rather than an even cut around the face. He is the only one that I know that does it and that is the way Colt did it I do believe

45 Colt with Gramps 2002 stamped on the top of the barrels. They go to Grandkids

357 With Dad 2003 stamped on top of the barrels. They go to Son and Daughter
Flattopsandhat2-1-1.jpg
[/url]

princeout

Blackhawk
Jim,
If I'm following what your saying, I think Hamilton Bowen's black powder chamfer also flows rather than follow a cylindrical bevel. Here's a close up of one.

MkbLiZf.jpg

Hamilton does them by hand with files and blue tape to guide his eyes and hand.

Here are three with chamfered cylinders. The far right is Gallagher. The middle and left are my weak efforts done with Hamilton looking over my shoulder, probably asking himself why he even tries to teach ham-fisted engineers to do this kind of stuff.

Idatpwo.jpg

It's fun to try but hard to find cheap cylinders to practice on!!

Tim

Robb Barnes said:
Hi Jim! Seems like I remember your son retiring from the service but your daughter still being in. That still the case? How is your grandson doing? Still flying whenever he can I hope.

Hi Robb,
Yes Son retired two years ago as an O-6 Navy Captain after 28 1/2 years.
Daughter plans on retiring this summer also as an O-6 after 25 years which doesn't include her 4 years at the USAFA.
How is everyone in your family doing?

Yes Grandson is still flying a bunch. He has a part time job that has him delivering and selling new and used planes for a friend. He spends quite a bit of time in Hood River OR. and Yakama WA.

They all three made it home from their last deployments Jim. Rem is headed to Georgetown University for an A/F seldctex Masters and Ashly is headed for the Pentagon. Strek is busy at Nellis where he has responsibility for a shop there in Vegas as well as a shop in AZ.

I figured the grandson would still be flying. Sounds like he has a job he would enjoy and excel at at.

Take care,

Robb