Clint Smith in action...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The number I carried through life depends on the job I was working.
Moving guns for uncle to the Cubans up to 4. Hunting only one. Today 1 or 2 depending where I am going and how much money I am carrying. If going to a coffee house I might open carry a boot gun in my stovepipe boots, a 1851 Navy .36, a small .32 long in a shoulder holster. A 12" bladed knife in my boot top, a 12" bladed Damascus knife in my belt. It bothers soccer moms!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Spent a week at Thunder Ranch years back. He puts out a LOT of info and experience in a course.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I think not much worry with this group. I know I could arm every house on my street and my guess is that most forum members here could also. A noisy dog would be good for deciding to leave the bedroom or wait until the PD showed up.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have a duplicate of every firearm(handgun) that I own. I learned it decades ago, that backup is necessary. I do not carry both of them, but one is carried and the other is "at home". I always want one that is "working", so if one goes down for what every reason, I have the backup to replace it. My wife and i have had permits for many years, I have had one for over 51 yrs! My wife has shot many pistols i own, including 1911's, various Glocks, J -frames, and ,22lrs from Beretta 70s to Ruger MkIII. My wife can hit with all of them when she goes to practice. If my home was invaded, and my wife was able to arm herself, which would not be hard since firearms are strategically placed (no children in the house), I am still not certain she would be able to use it, to shoot an intruder, to kill someone. It is what it is. We all talk about it, but frankly, it is not easy and not something that most of us were brought up to do, and doing is very different than talking. I went through OCS in the Marines, served my time overseas(72) and came back & worked for DOD/DIA for several years "taking " out the trash. Say what you want, but removing someone from the planet is not something most people want to do or look forward too. If you do, you need serious help. While it was part of the job, it was something that sticks with you, and leaves its on mark on you, and everyone is different. At 72 I do not think the same way as I did at 22. What seemed normal & justified then, I now know is never that clear, there is no black & white, there are politics, lies, deceit and personal desires that are used as justification for doing things that are either barely within the law or just plain illegal. The govt bends the rules daily to suit its agenda. I have been robbed 4 times, it Hotels, and various homes. The last time, Scottsdale, AZ., the culprit was running away, and i had a clear "shot" at him. When Police arrived, they asked me why I did not shoot him. I told them, this is not the OK Coral and I am not Wyatt Earp! I will not kill someone over any inanimate object or piece of property, that can be replaced etc. "Clear, Imminent, Life Threatening, Danger!" is the standard I use, for myself & family! So far so good!

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
I had gotten pretty casual about taking advantage of my CWL until recently when it became obvious that even my relative bucolic suburban setting people are shooting each other at the slightest of provocations. The smallest things I have for true concealment are a couple of S&W revolvers, so they got the nod. If you don't have one when you need it you'll probably never need one again. 😉
🐸

Paul B

Hunter
My usual carry is a Colt Commander .45 ACP in an IWB holster with an S&W M60 in my pants pocket. Been doing that for quite a few years. I've always carried something even where it was illegal, like when I lived in San Francisco. Guess I was lucky as I never got caught. The gun most of the time was a Colt 1911A1. For a while I had a BUG as well, a Cold Cobra .38 Spl. but I just never liked that gun. I'd got it for my first wife as it was her choice between it and an S&W M36. She didn't like it after she shot it so when she left me I more or less inherited it. I never bothered to get a CCW until about the year 2000. By then I was traveling some to states that honored the Arizona permit so figured it was a good idea.
I only had to show a gun twice in my my life IIRC, One time was in San Francisco about 3AM when coming home from work I got hassled by a carload of blacks. They pulled up along side of me at a stop sign and started to get out of their car. I let the see the business end of the Cobra and then quickly got back into the car and split. The other time was a ot more serious, a case of mistaken identity. The guy thought I was someone he had a serious grudge on and thought I was the guy. Took some serious shouting before it soaked in he was looking at a gun and left. Gun was an S&W 6906 9MM. I really thought I was going to have to shoot that guy. Not a good feeling. A few years later an ex-mayor of Tucson passed away. Must have been well liked by most as a big picture on the front page of the paper and a big article about him. I swear that the picture looked like I had an identical twin brother. Just glad I didn't have to shoot the guy because he made a mistake. My wife was with me at the time and she told me she'd never complain about me carrying a gun on me or in the car ever again, and she never did.
Paul B.

Latest posts