What Is Your Favorite Full Size Auto???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I seems to me that the most popular handguns being purchased today are for concealed carry and are small to medium size guns. What I'm curious about is what is your favorite full size Semi-Auto. Now if you want to add the medium size guns and the smallish size guns in Semi-Auto, because that's the topic scope, you can add that. If you have more than one please list them. Who knows, someone may decide to give something else a try. I will list mine down the line.
So, Full Size
Medium Size
Smaller Size

disclaimer...I still prefer a revolver, especially in the mountains.

Of course, a 1911 is my favorite full size pistol. But it's not the one I carry the most. My SIG 226 (.40) is the one that gets strapped on, or put in the rig, most often, when I'm needing a full size pistol.

For a mid size, I think my favorite has become the Springfield XD, also in .40. If for whatever reason my American Compact was towards the front of the safe, I could grab it nearly equally. I have a SIG 239 (.40) which is quite wonderful, but it's found its way to a hideout in the bedroom and it doesn't leave the house often.

For smaller, in addition to my LCP which is always in my shirt pocket, my EC9s has become the pistol I grab when heading out and wanting to be more streamlined. I used to like the S&W Shield, and it's still a great pistol, but it has lost out to the EC9s.

paboxcall

Bearcat
Large is the Sig 1911 in 40 cal. Thing is crazy accurate, rolls aluminum cans at 60 yards without trying. If it wasn't so difficult to carry daily I would.

No medium sized autos, just Ruger revolvers (which is my preference as well).

Small is the S&W Bodyguard .380. Carry it regularly and shoots nicely without a single failure.

Hittman, those are few and far between from what I understand. I've seen them sell for as much as $900 here. I very seldom go the the base exchange when I go on base but I did that this week. They had a sale on Glocks 10% off. If you get their Star card that day you get another 10% off. If you already had one you only get 5% extra off. I've never had a Star Card until now but it's probably the only time it will ever be used. Of course I didn't run into the deal till I picked one up off of Gunbroker for a higher price. Just my luck. How do you like yours?

I really don't have a lot of experience with different brands of handguns.. and specifically semi-autos. Pretty much just Ruger and Sig.... even though I have shot and do own a few others.... So, with my limited experience....

Full size: Sig P226
Medium size: Sig P239
Small: ....... Ruger LC9 or Sig P290

Now I do have to admit when I first read the title question... my initial answer was going to be "Ford Flex'.... but then I realized I probably needed another cup of coffee....

Wayno I'm right with you. I prefer a revolver in the mountains, woods, hikes, etc.

Full size S&W M&P I have it in 9 and 40 so depending on perceived need one will get picked up.

Medium S&W SD9VE It's about the size of a Glock 19 and is enough like the Glock they pay Glock a royalty. It handles very well and is extremely reliable.

Small EC9s or LC9 Pro I have both and like them. I think they conceal pretty well and I like the 8 round capacity. Truth is I mostly carry a revolver even for small. My Detective Special or a Ruger LCR of various models.

I grew up with revolvers and have stayed with them for years even though semi's have come and gone. But I did decide I wanted a Semi that worked similarly to a revolver. I don't need to remember the safety. Outside of the LC9 pro that's the only one with a safety and I don't use it. I want to be able to draw and go to work. I carry hot as well.

Full size 1911 45ACP or Hi-Power 9mm
Medium size Colt Gunsite Commander 1911 with Officers grip frame
Small size LCPII w/extra mag

Like others here, revolvers work too.
Large --629 Classic 5" or 686 4"
Medium --Colt King Cobra 3"
Small --S&W 49 Bodyguard Airweight

hittman

Staff member
BPJ .... love the 19x. Flawless performance in every way.

In July of this year .... when supply was slim I spotted this at local farm supply store still marked its normal pre pandemic price under $600.00.

What's not to like? The gun, hard case, night sites, 3 mags, mag loader, ambi slide release for we leftys .... and Glock quality for under $600.00. Very nice.

Over 1000 rounds thru it now ..... not one hiccup.

My Gunsite GSP 1911 or my Colt 1911 or the HK VP9 or my Glock model 21 for full size.

I carry in concealment, my Kimber Ultra CDP which is very shootable and has a great trigger with spare mag if I am going anywhere I feel the need in advance for 45ACP stopping power.

Most often, I carry an LCP clipped to the inside of my pants with a spare mag in my pocket...solely or as a back-up.

The VP9 has made me rethink my feelings on plastic fantastics... :lol:

Mike J

Hunter
My favorite full size auto is the SR 1911. Simply because it is my only 1911
Medium size would be my M&P 2.0 40 Compact 4".
The only small I own currently is a Kahr CM9. I am currently wondering if I would be better served with a Sig P365 or a Glock 48. The advantage of the Kahr is it's small size but I am thinking I would rather have something with more grip to hold onto.