stealth open carry AR pistol (maybe)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
Just had a ideal, maybe the 21st century equivlant of the violin case.

I'm thinking of using an oxygen carrier black nylon bag!

get a few feet of tubing and a task and most people would not look that close.

get an adjustable handi cane as a monopode

:shock:
:D :D

(I need to think less)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Well it probably would work. Do you look the part? I considered flying with a cane since you can't carry anything else to defend yourself on a plane these days.

Yes, that would be concealed carry, I think. But maybe you mean to have the AR Pistol exposed sort of in the bag and the hoses are to create more of the illusion.... and most folks will be looking away from you because you are one of those old Geezers on Oxygen and might start up a conversation on how everything is going to hell.

If you add one of the folding stocks, an AR with an 8" barrel and red dot optic is approximately 18" long x 9" deep x 3" thick w/o the mag in place.
Carrying it is one thing but you'd better hope you don't need it really quick.
Also consider the weight. I don't know how much an o2 tank weighs(hope I don't have the need to know) but the AR "pistol" isn't light. I just weighed a 10.5" 5.56 AR with an AimPoint, single point sling, and loaded 20 round mag at 7.5#. A 10.5" 9mm AR with a Burris AR132 red dot and 2 loaded 21 round Glock mags was 7.75#.
With this in mind, the bag will need some sort of structuring to support this weight and buffer the gun against bumps and bangs somewhat. If you use a "rifle caliber" for this pistol, you need to make room for some ear muffs. When you light one of those off in a self defense scenario, you'll instantly become "the life of the party".

blume357 said:
Yes, that would be concealed carry, I think. But maybe you mean to have the AR Pistol exposed sort of in the bag and the hoses are to create more of the illusion.... and most folks will be looking away from you because you are one of those old Geezers on Oxygen and might start up a conversation on how everything is going to hell.

Meaning that we're trying to get away with concealment by saying it's not really concealment because blah blah blah.

Hire a good lawyer. :lol:

JFB

Hunter
blume357 said:

I found a bag, but I think I have thrown the hoses, cannula and masks away. still looking though before I buy.

3klBIZp.jpg

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Read carefully the Statutes in your State , And several pages of case law , and compare to your situation, and what you are considering doing . Generic answers do Not fit all .

AND look carefully at State and Federal law to be Sure of the classification of your ( AR- thing w/o buttstock , kinda short ) . More than a few AR " Pistols " out there are actually an " Other Firearm " , and not legally a Pistol .

Why do you want to pack an AR Pistol , and for what purpose ? Does your jurisdiction have certain laws that * Followed exactly as Written * are favorable for AR-ish pistols ?

JFB

Hunter
hey,

guess I visit resturants that cater to the poor health crowd, as the other night I notice at least 1 oo 4 was carring an O2 bottle, I noticed a younger guy, and at first thought it was a molle, but it was a rig to hold his bottle secure (he was fairly mobile)

so my brain rambled to the gansters use of violin cases and hey, I have on O2 bag stashed away.

So, guess daydreaming gets me in trouble. Just making public my delusional thoughts,

If you fit into a "more active" crowd, you might look at a "racquet bag".
Biggfoot44 brings up a good point. It's a slippery slope determining the legalities of what is a "pistol" and what isn't. Too long OAL for a pistol and too short of barrel for a rifle?? Measured with stock folded or extended? Removable muzzle device included in overall length?
We chased this coon round and round the tree trying to get a solid basis for using AR pistols during the "Alternative Methods" deer season.
I don't want to discourage you but sure don't want to see you get in trouble.

RSIno1

Hunter
Mobuck said:
Too long OAL for a pistol and too short of barrel for a rifle??
ATF does not have a OA length for pistols (or their barrels) only that it be a gun designed to be fired with ONE hand.
All the current hoopla is over AR type pistols that have a fore grip added making it a TWO handed gun.
What they have held is the brace is an accessory and if under 26" when removed it's AWO and if the pull with the brace is over 13.5" and the barrel under 16" it is can also be a SBR.
Their rules are currently in flux and recent letters are aimed at banning importation. Once that's done they'll start on the home grown ones.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/atf-rescinds-prior-methods-to-measure-a-firearms-overall-length-w-brace/?fbclid=IwAR3wF7I8rzbv-IF9NTukJ3YrBOHckhPsBY-erB-oDxxveXOxaPExkmhkoSI#axzz5tnz5prEt

Yep, that's what I was going to say but not as well. I'm fixing to order a AR style pistol with brace but in 357sig caliber and so that will make it a pistol not matter what right? Yeah, until they decide different. Got a rifle in that caliber waiting at my FFL right now.... I like that bag pictured above I may have to look into getting one.

toysoldier

Hunter
protoolman said:
Well it probably would work. Do you look the part? I considered flying with a cane since you can't carry anything else to defend yourself on a plane these days.

Last year I took a few day trips sponsored by the local senior center, and carried a cane both times. I've had episodes of nerve pinch in my back, but mainly it was to present a deceptive picture of decrepitude. I prefer to be underestimated by any potential attacker.
The cane, by the way, is a simple 1" diameter hickory with curved grip. Very sturdy, but nothing to set off metal sensors. I purchase all of these I find in decent shape at yard sales, then clean up and refinish them. I've given away a couple to friends and family.

I think I'd want a big old hunk of metal of sometype on the handle of the cane and I would not worry about metal detectors just because you could hand it to the guard screening you and get it back...

Now the AR pistol in the oxygen tank bag might not work as well with that..........

I just jumped on a Black Friday sale and bought an AR folding stock. This should bring a 16" barreled carbine down to approx 24" with stock folded but still leave the gun ready to shoot by flipping the stock into position and racking the bolt. Definitely fitting into a "racquet bag".

The SYLVAN seems to be a strong and user friendly design. The "testing" on Classic Firearms u-toob broke the lower w/o damage to the folder. No buttons to push to open the stock-just a spring loaded detent. This speeds/simplifies the deployment of the stock in an emergency. Downside of most of these is the requirement for a special adaptor if used with a blow back PCC. Initially, I'm just going to put this on a standard lower to see if it's dependable or it's a range toy sort of gimmick. I'll have to re-check the legal aspect of how firearm length is measured when a folding stock is used.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Most States also have their own definitions of what is what under State law . Sometimes they work in our favor , sometimes not .