stealth open carry AR pistol (maybe)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Since this one came back up, I'll jump in (again).
My sort of AR style pistol did come in ... actually it sat at my FFL for 2 months because I missed the email saying it was shipped and my FFL never called to say they had it and the folks I ordered it from, TNW Firearms, do not answer emails very well. Here is my take on it... it is a great little rifle... calling these things a 'pistol' is really a joke and only because the ATF screwed up with their classification of braces... which I'm happy they did and hope it doesn't change...
One thing about this in S.C. is there is no way to conceal carry one... because there is a limit on the length of a concealed carry "handgun" in the state law. I guess I could carry it open after August 15th, when that becomes legal, but I would not want to cause anyones panties to get in a serious bunch. I carry this AR style pistol in my van with a Glock that accepts the same ammo and magazines... Here is a picture of my work van's complete security system:

While I've been spending 4-6 hours per day in the pickup seat, I've been studying on how I can mount a short AR in my work vehicle. I want it to be discrete and generally out of sight but still accessible w/o having to get out and open the rear door. Since my right shoulder no longer allows reaching or lifting anything behind my body, that's a big hurdle. I'd been working on an idea to velcro the gun vertically on the back of the passenger seat with a towel or old jacket covering. I already have seat covers with loops and MOLLE points so a fairly easy task. Mounted vertically muzzle up with a velcro ripcord would be a good option allowing deployment w/o leaving the driver's seat.
The AR would not be a first response to an immediate short range threat--that's what the 9mm in the crossdraw holster is for.

I ended up building a metal box for the TNW pistol to slip in and it is mounted behind the passenger seat in my van.... took me about 5 hours to make and not exactly as I would like but it does keep it pretty well concealed and is somewhat easily accessible.

Personally, I'm a lot more comfortable with the possibility of shooting 357 sig rounds than the .223s in an AR style pistol

"Personally, I'm a lot more comfortable with the possibility of shooting 357 sig rounds than the .223s in an AR style pistol"

No argument there. Muzzle blast from even a 10.5" barrel .223/5.56 is just a total slap in the face sensation not counting the noise. A suppressed 10.5" is no fluffy kittens cat but the face slap is gone and there's only a little ringing of the ears.
That said, I refuse to carry a suppressed firearm as an EDC. Too much chance of getting stolen or confiscated by an overzealous cop. I have a 'blast forwarder' on the 9mm PDW I haul around. It saves the ears but is an easily replaceable $75 part.
The pistol caliber 8-10" barrel option is less of an ear buster while providing more range and accuracy. At 65 yards, the 9mm is hitting at the bottom of the 4MOA dot so from contact distance to that range, all bullets hit somewhere on the dot. That's about all I need to know.

I'm seeing a number of pistol caliber variations that don't use the buffer tube type op spring. This allows the unit to fire with the 'brace' folded.
Controls are similar to the familiar AR but it's far more compact. This seems to be a better option for fitting into a backpack. In fact I saw an ad on one of the outdoor channels that specifically pointed to the 'fit in a backpack' capability.

blume357 said:
I think I'd want a big old hunk of metal of sometype on the handle of the cane and I would not worry about metal detectors just because you could hand it to the guard screening you and get it back...

Now the AR pistol in the oxygen tank bag might not work as well with that..........

I frequently carry a cane as my knees have a tendency to to buckle from time to time. I found a nice solid aluminum one with a solid aluminum handgrip. Quite sturdy and goes anywhere. Years ago I practiced Kali and also learned the use of the cane for self defense. You'd be amazed how fast you can disable some one with a short hunk of wood, or a cane.

Latest posts