Now That Ruger Owns Marlin ,Lever Gun???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
Valman said:
Look at the Ruger catalog -- the classic Rugers that we older guys know and love are fast disappearing, and most of them have now become collectibles. IMHO, the Wrangler sounded the death knell of The Old Man's ground-breaking ideas and his design genius. Others here have moaned about the bean counters and lawyers who run the business. But that's how businesses adapt to new realities and survive in new markets.

Just my stodgy old opinion...
One I share. I have made it my goal not to buy a Ruger built after the death of Bill Ruger.
I've made a couple exceptions. I foolishly sold all 3 of my early 10-22s so I bought a 50th aniv one that was cheap for the grandson. I bought a stainless No1 just to flesh out the collection of those.
My next sin may be a MKIV if I ever move to a free state since they are not available in CA.

langenc

Single-Sixer
While your waiting for a Rem lever, grab a Henry and enjoy it.. ALL US made..by US workers.

Grand kids will enjoy Henry when the Remington is available n 10-12 yrs or so.

mac66

Single-Sixer
just seeing this thread now so forgive me if it's dated.

As was posted the first Marlin will be an 1895 in 45-70, followed by a 336 in 30-30.

There is an interview with Ruger's CEO floating around confirming the above. Though he didn't say it he alluded to the return of the Model 60 22 and some levers in other calibers.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Just looked at the Marlin website put up by Ruger. It shows the 1895 as being shipped and the 336 in both 30-30 and 35 Rem as not being currently in production. Also an 1894 but no indication of caliber.

Under rimfires they show a bolt gun (XT) the Model 60 and 795 as not being in production though the photo of the 795 is actually a Mod 70 Papoose. So it's unclear whether they will be making the Papoose or the actual 795 or perhaps renaming the Papoose the 795 Takedown.

jgt

Buckeye
I will be the first to acknowledge Remington put out some real junk at first. Mainly due to the arrogance of the people in charge. But a couple of years before they went belly up they finally got the bugs worked out. By that time their reputation was in the toilet. My widowed sister-in-law needed a gun she could shoot and use to protect herself. I got her the only thing I could find at the time, it was a Remington made 1894 in .357 magnum. Even those were hard to find and fairly expensive for the time. I own a model 1894 in 44 magnum so I know what they look like inside. The Remington had some razor sharp edges from machining, but other than a lawyer type trigger there were no issues found when I did the trigger job and a fluff and buff. It pains me to admit it was machined much better than my JM stamped Marlin. Later when they finally brought out the 444 it was very well made and shot good groups. Ruger will likely go with their hammer forged barrels that give good results. My only hope is they change the 1894 model in 44 magnum to a 1/18 to 1/20 twist rate and do away with the 1/38 for good. If so, I am going to line up to buy one myself.

mac66

Single-Sixer
jgt said:
I will be the first to acknowledge Remington put out some real junk at first. Mainly due to the arrogance of the people in charge. But a couple of years before they went belly up they finally got the bugs worked out. By that time their reputation was in the toilet. My widowed sister-in-law needed a gun she could shoot and use to protect herself. I got her the only thing I could find at the time, it was a Remington made 1894 in .357 magnum. Even those were hard to find and fairly expensive for the time. I own a model 1894 in 44 magnum so I know what they look like inside. The Remington had some razor sharp edges from machining, but other than a lawyer type trigger there were no issues found when I did the trigger job and a fluff and buff. It pains me to admit it was machined much better than my JM stamped Marlin. Later when they finally brought out the 444 it was very well made and shot good groups. Ruger will likely go with their hammer forged barrels that give good results. My only hope is they change the 1894 model in 44 magnum to a 1/18 to 1/20 twist rate and do away with the 1/38 for good. If so, I am going to line up to buy one myself.

Ruger's CEO already said the barrels will all be hammer forged.