Best 1911 value for under $500?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been looking for an inexpensive, yet reliable 1911 45acp for a little while now.
This would be a plinker, truck gun that might get knocked around a bit. That being said, I saw an RIA base model at a local store. Price was $389+tax. My brother owns an upper level RIA and it has been pretty reliable for him.

Just curious......any ideas?

tunnug

Single-Sixer
RIA was my first thought when I saw your price range, I've got a 22 TCM from them and they look like the higher priced others that I own, so far it has worked great.

Dave, I would also go with an RIA. I have one that is the plain jane GI model and it is one of the tightest .45's I've seen. Shoots great, no rattles and upgradeable to whatever extent you want (or not). It does have the stake on front sight but you can go up one step for not a lot more to get a dovetail front sight.

wdodd

Bearcat
+1 on the RIA ....... have had a 9mm for years with absolutely no problems.
(Well, there has been one small on-going problem ..... my son seems to think it's better off kept at his house) :roll:

Buckshot Bill

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
Dave, I would also go with an RIA. I have one that is the plain jane GI model and it is one of the tightest .45's I've seen. Shoots great, no rattles and upgradeable to whatever extent you want (or not). It does have the stake on front sight but you can go up one step for not a lot more to get a dovetail front sight.

Dave, I'd also agree with this 100%. These Rock Island pistols are reliable as all get out, and you'll smile every time you pull the trigger when you think of what a great buy you made on one.

Buckshot Bill

I went back to the store today. They got 3 in so I picked one up. Well, I have to wait a week or so due to the Washington state ridiculous laws to take possession. I handled it and partially disassembled it to the dismay of the clerk. I seems like a well made pistol. Nice and tight with a crisp trigger pull. I may add a few personal touches, grips etc. $422.73 OTD.

Dave

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Are these RI's today domestic or imports? I have one, 45 ACP, rather a full house gun with solid guide rod, adj. 3 dot target sights, ext slide release and safety, adj trigger, beaver tail and skeleton hammer, with a matte finish. Under front of frame it is stamped API PAHRUMP NV over TWIN PINES PHILS. I assume this is the importer and distributor. Have no history and so far, seems a very serviceable piece.

dakota1911

Buckeye
RIAs would be what I would also suggest if you want a new pistol. Several years ago a friend bet me a nice steak dinner I could not find any Colt 1911 I would want to own in a gun store for less than $500. This took me to many gun stores I had not been in before and several I am not ever going to go back to again. Anyway in one I did find a 1991 Colt Commander for less than $500. It had some "interesting" naked lady grips I sold to a kid in the gun store for $30 and a SS FLGR I sold to a friend for another $30. I did replace the recoil and firing pin spring and replaced the arched non metallic MSH with a Colt flat non metallic MSH. The grips are from the old Ajax Co. Still have less than $500 in it.

Was going to flip it but it shoots great so I have held onto it.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Springfield has a Mil-Spec 1911 called the "Defend Your Legacy Series." It has an MSRP of $549. It should have an OTD price of about $475-$500.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-mil-spec-handguns/defend-your-legacy-series-1911-mil-spec-45-acp-handgun/

Charlie

Update! I took this $389 1911 to the range today. WAYNO and I both shot it. We only shot 50 rounds through it, but it performed flawlessly with ball ammo. It is reliable and with practice will be very accurate.

I am impressed with this entry level pistol. Well done RIA!

Dave

I am a snob, and normally I would not have given a RIA 1911 a second glance.

But, I've shot Dave's new RIA 1911 on two separate occasions.

First, the fit, the finish, the overall handsomeness... I am absolutely impressed with this pistol. Who'da thunk such a pistol could be offered for such a price?

And the accuracy? I shot it every bit as well as my two Ruger 1911's today.

One model I'm surprised I haven't heard mentioned is TISAS, (out of Turkey) and I've heard several reports and not a single negative one. With the current market the prices have come up some but a 1911 A1 would run in the lower $400 range. They also have a very nice model that is pretty complete with ambi Safety, Novak sights, and others in the low $500 range.

cavediver27

Bearcat
Another big "YES" for Rock Island 1911's. I have a full size tactical in 45 acp and it is an amazing pistol. Factory extended beaver tail, skeletonized hammer and trigger, adjustable trigger, Novak style sights, flat mainspring housing with nice checkering and full length guide rod. It eats everything I feed it from my lead semi-wadcutters hand loads to XTP hollow points. It has never failed to function correctly, is accurate and has great fit and finish. I love my Rugers and Colts but this Rock Island is every bit as good as those.

George

Blackhawk
Another to think about that at least doesn't give me any trouble at all is the Taurus 1911 Government model. You can get it with all the bells and whistles they say ready to run in competition around $500. It certainly does have the bells and whistles and also feels good I can't find an issue with my Taurus 1911. trigger is light and crisp barrel lock up the superb. Fitment on everything seems very good even the beaver tail is beautifully fit! It does have their flat I'll call it parkerized finish that is not very rugged. The only thing that I can see that's not fit as tight as I'd like it is slide to frame. But it's accurate! It does a great job. Most but not all is mil-spec on this gun that I have found so far I have heard firing pin firing pin block plunger and extractors maybe proprietary to Taurus but I've also heard some have installed Wilson Parts fine. Food for thought if you want something with the bells and whistles around the 500 or less range! George