MVQB

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3spop

Single-Sixer
Can anyone tell me what MVQB means on the inside of grips? Thanks.

Originally, Altamont grips made to fit the Medium frame New Vaquero and Flattop-sized Blackhawk were marked NVB. Later, Ruger changed the nomenclature of the New Vaquero to again, just Vaquero. We now have Vaquero, New Vaquero, and again, Vaquero. Confusing? it is if you've not had a reason to stay on top of this.

So now, if you had grips that said NVB, but your brand new medium-frame Vaquero is now just called a Vaquero, you might not think these NVB grips would fit.

So now, for simplicity, let's stamp these grips with MVQB.. They fit the Medium frame VaQuero and (medium frame) Blackhawk.

Identical Altamont grips for a med-frame New Vaquero or Flattop Blackhawk, can be found with both NVB and MVQB engraved on the inside of these grips, and others have asked the same question.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
All current vaqueros are New Vaqueros because they're a "NEW" version of the original large frame Vaqueros that didn't have the RIPS for cylinder alignment for loading/unloading.

The one exception is the Vaquero 44 Spl, since it was never produced before therefore it's not a new or updated version of any former Vaquero. Therefore it's the first of its kind and just stamped Vaquero.

Just as simple as that, no mystery about it.

all I know is ever since the 2005 and the "anniversary guns, medium frames, etc, the grips nomenclature is totally screwed up, I get guys at every show bring guns in and have grips from EVERY mass maker , and most do not fit or even come close, and we've modified some of them , cut the notch at the top of the panels and elongate the locating pin hole and make them fit, yep, even the old model XR-3's will take them, then..... I would hate to be a "custom" grip maker these days WITHOUT the customers grip frame handy!!! :shock: 8) :wink:

love the OLD Days, XR-3 or XR-3 RED ( and then of course the S-47) :roll:

Dan in MI

Staff member
rugerguy said:
all I know is ever since the 2005 and the "anniversary guns, medium frames, etc, the grips nomenclature, and fit, is totally screwed up,
Fixed that for ya. :mrgreen:

I've purchased three SS Blackhawks in the past few years each one the grips were a horrible fit on the fame. I called Ruger and they sent replacements for one. Not he really nice deep red they came with but some blond looking cheapies. They fit equally as horrible. After I got the third one i took the grips off all three and mixed/matched grips to frames. I now have three Blackhawks with acceptable fitting original grips. (not pre2000 fit though)

To get back to the OP, I wondered what those huge carved letters meant.

Latest posts