What's the best way to put the bolt back in 1022

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I just super cleaned my ruger 1022 and put a new bx trigger in it .I about never got the bolt back in what's the easiest way .I was glad I took the bolt out it was all gunked up big time .

I use a little brass rod(you can use a screwdriver) through the ejection port to hold the cocking handle square on the guide rod when compressing the spring. At that point you can just drop the bolt in, it takes some practice but it's easy once you get the technique down. I recommend doing it several times rather than just being happy that you got it together, that way you'll be ready to do it the next time.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
Dang I had never taken one all the way out till this time .It makes it totally easy to clean the whole inside of the receiver and the bolt .I about never got the bolt back in .I have two more 1022s to go hopefully they will be easier .I will try that thanks !

Keeping the cocking handle square is the key or the bolt will not drop in, if you look at the handle when you push it back with you finger it goes slightly askew not to mention your finger is in the way. When you push it back and then hold it through the charging port with a thin tool you can see everything clearly.

Enigma

Hunter
The gentleman that runs Gunsmither Tools makes a very handy little tool to aid in 10/22 bolt installation. Certainly not mandatory, but money well spent.

https://gunsmithertools.com/

Taterman

Buckeye
Enigma said:
The gentleman that runs Gunsmither Tools makes a very handy little tool to aid in 10/22 bolt installation. Certainly not mandatory, but money well spent.

https://gunsmithertools.com/

Pretty cool. I've never taken my 10/22 apart that far, I may have to give it a shot.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Gentleman: YouTube Is Your Friend. I Watched It 3-4 Times. It Made It A Piece Of Cake.. Just My .02.

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>The gentleman that runs Gunsmither Tools makes a very handy little tool to aid in 10/22 bolt installation. Certainly not mandatory, but money well spent<<

Ditto the above.....

Johnnu2

Hunter
I know I'm a stubborn old man but I wonder why anyone would spend $18.95 on a tool that, it would appear, is easy-peasy to make yourself..?

Another example that I HAVE made myself is a tool I found on Brownell's website: 'base pin puller'. I made one of these by simply picking the right thickness FEELER GUAGE (our of an old throw-away that I didn't 'throw-away') and shaping the appropriate curve at one end. Here's the Brownell's version for $25.99
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/takedown-tools/colt-base-pin-puller-sku777000001-10997-27569.aspx
Mine looks exactly the same, but it was FREE.

I realize that there are some folks who are not adapt at stuff like this, but I would think that most folks on this forum could cut and bend their own NO?

Thoughts?

J.