Range Day for the SR1911 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Just got back from a trip to the range to run the new SR1911 10mm.

Not optimal weather, about 38 and my hands were cold.

In any event, shot 96 rds, 15 of which were full power Underwood ammo, 155 and 180gr. Recoil is very mild with the Winchester White Box and in no way bothersome with the Underwood. No glitches or malfunctions.

Sights were WAY off at the outset, about 12" low at 10 yds. Adjusted the rear sight and then the shots clustered around the bullseye.

Started to get into the rhythm with the gun toward the end and had a good time. It's a keeper.

I took one of my Ruger SR9cs along as the CCW gun. Felt like a feather compared to the full size 1911.

Should have all I want to start reloading on Monday or Tues. Don

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
sparkyvega said:
Much fun, Donnieweps! What loads do you plan to handload?

I think I have a pretty nice option out there. Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder has one I really like.

It's simply their starting load of 8.2gr behind a 155gr Hornady XTP slug. Produces a velocity of 1269fps/554 ft lbs at a pressure of only 26,300 PSI. 554 ft lbs is 114 ft lbs over what I get with Federal 124gr HST +P out of my 5" barreled S&W M&P. Plenty of whack at the backstop and very gentle on the gun. Hodgdon touts this as "Ideal for 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 45 ACP".

I plan on using it behind a 155gr Missouri Bullet Co coated slug so pressures should be the same or lower.

If I want to have fun with the upper limits of the 10mm round, I'll use some Underwood as I have that in 155, 180 and 200gr hard cast varieties.

Have some loaded up and will check it for function and probably chronograph it and if so will post back on the results. Don

dakota1911

Buckeye
I love mine I got back soon after they came out. I did put some new stocks on it I got off shopruger.com years ago. They were called "Delta grips". I told myself that if Ruger ever came out with a 10mm SR1911 I would have to put them on it. Here it is with my Blackhawk in 10mm/40S&W.

Rick R

Bearcat
My 10mm SR1911 is probably the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

Enjoy! But remember to notify the International Space Station to watch for ejected brass.
;)

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Rick R said:
My 10mm SR1911 is probably the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

Enjoy! But remember to notify the International Space Station to watch for ejected brass.
;)

Funny but true. I briefly had a Springfield Armory XD(M) 5.25 10mm. Had no love for the gun, found the grip safety to be highly likely to go off even with a bad grip. It too flung the brass.

I'll use two large tarps to try to isolate the brass tossing. Have also swiped the case heads and top of the brass with Magic Marker to make it easier to ID. I'll see how that works tomorrow, all things willing. Don

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
Rick R said:
But remember to notify the International Space Station to watch for ejected brass.
Change your recoil spring.
The one you have is too weak.

The Ruger is brand new and has an 18 or 20# spring, pretty stout. I asked Ruger if an even stronger spring would be desirable for top end loads. They said no. So I'll go with their recommendation. Don

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Donnieweps said:
The Ruger is brand new and has an 18 or 20# spring, pretty stout. I asked
Ruger if an even stronger spring would be desirable for top end loads.
They said no. So I'll go with their recommendation.
Ever think you might have gotten a bad spring?

I had one, brand new, out of the box, that dumped brass almost thirty feet back.
Put in a new spring, factory recommended weight, and the problem went away.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
Donnieweps said:
The Ruger is brand new and has an 18 or 20# spring, pretty stout. I asked
Ruger if an even stronger spring would be desirable for top end loads.
They said no. So I'll go with their recommendation.
Ever think you might have gotten a bad spring?

I had one, brand new, out of the box, that dumped brass almost thirty feet back.
Put in a new spring, factory recommended weight, and the problem went away.

Seriously doubt that, had a Springfield Armory XD(M) 5.25 that did the same thing. Spring in the Ruger is seriously stout. Don

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Had a great range day today, nothing could have been better other than being a world class marksman, never was, won't be at my age.

First of all, shot all of the 40 first handloads I had on hand and all functioned perfectly. This is my first effort at reloading pistol ammo with a taper crimp, everything else has been straight walled revolver, .458 Win and some bottlenecked rifle ammo.

Then came a shock when I got home and looked at the chronograph data. Was using Hodgdon CFE Pistol, wow does that powder rock for the 10mm. I will not use any other powder for this gun.

Used Hodgdon's STARTING load of 8.2gr of CFE for which they give a velocity of 1269. I got 1369fps/645 ft lbs with a Missouri coated 155gr bullet at according to Hodgdon, less than 27KSI pressure! Never would have expected to get 100fps more than their data but theirs was for a 155gr Hornady XTP.

Then I tried a few rounds of Underwood's 155gr Hornady XTP. I'm used to ammo manufacturer's data for the most part being optimistic. Not so here, Underwood says 1500fps, I got 1493fps/767 ft lbs. Recoil is in my view, mild.

Retrieving the brass is still an issue. Used tarps and that helped quite a bit but losses were still more than I want. Think the real world solution is to put a second target stand up close to me and staple two cardboard sheets horizontally onto it. Ought to collect most of the brass. Don :cheers::cheers:

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Pat-inCO said:
Rick R said:
But remember to notify the International Space Station to watch for ejected brass.
Change your recoil spring.
The one you have is too weak.

I called Ruger a few minutes ago. Customer service went and spoke with one of their technicians. Technician said I don't need a new spring. He said that if the spring were weak I'd get erratic or inconsistent extraction and even brass coming back at me.

If it were in need of a new spring, I'm sure Ruger would have spent the $2-3 and sent me one.

So, I consider the issue of a new spring dead. Don

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Another 96 rds down the pipe of my new SR1911. Flawless.

I still have to perfect a means of catching the vigorously tossed brass. My initial effort got me 83 of the 96 rds but I need/want better. Don

Latest posts