Different GP100 in 357!?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
I apologize if somebody already mention this, I couldn't find.

Anyhow, I appreciate strength and ruggedness of GP100 in 357, and I am aware of those versions with reduced barrel underlug, but they are not IMO so nice and elegant as on GP100 in 22LR (from https://www.galleryofguns.com ):

1757.jpg

Also, I was searching in my neck of woods for S&W 686 Target Champion, and found one 686-4 (I prefer -3 and -4), and price was right. However, when I asked guy to send me pictures of barrel forcing cone top strap, I backed off. Erosion of top strap (not big issue) and beginning of forcing cone (a big issue for me) was so evident.

Not sure what is the steel S&W uses for their barrel (assuming something similar to 416), but I am aware that Ruger uses for 454 SRH Carpenters new Project 7000® 15Cr-5Ni stainless (see https://www.carpentertechnology.com/en/alloy-techzone/technical-information/success-stories/one-of-the-worlds-most-powerful-revolvers-get-lift-from-aerospace-alloys , VERY INFORMATIVE)

Anyhow, I am not spring chicken, and love the feeling (and look too) of 6" Security Six, so I would love to see GP100 in 357, 5.5-6" barrel, with barrel counter like on GP100 in 22LR or Security Six. BUT, I would also highly appreciate Carpenters new Project 7000 15Cr-5Ni steel for barrel, so the forcing cone erosion wouldn't be the issue. Yes, I am aware of additional cost, but I wouldn't mind 50-100 bucks more for such barrel.

Hope that gentlemen from DAVIDSON'S could chim to this.

Regards, Onty

silverback

Blackhawk
If I am not mistaken they were the gp100 or the gp160 and 161 models. They can still be had with some patience and searching. Th newest version of half lug gp100 would be match champion.

Info below was provided by a well known member of another forum: Iowegan

"There have been several variations of the GP-100. All are chambered in either the 357 Mag (most common) and 38 Special. Most variations have been made in both blue and stainless.
Catalog codes are as follows: (example KGP-161) GP= GP-100 blued with adjustable sights KGP= GP-100 Stainless steel with adjustable sights GPF=GP-100 blued with fixed sights KGPF=GP-100 Stainless steel with fixed sights GKGP=High polish stainless GP-100 with adjustable sights. 131=full shroud 357 Mag, 3" barrel 141=full shroud 357 Mag, 4" barrel 150=partial shroud 357 Mag, 5" barrel 151=full shroud 357 Mag, 5" barrel 160=partial shroud 357 Mag, 6" barrel 161=full shroud 357 Mag, 6" barrel 330=partial shroud 357 Mag,3" barrel 331=full shroud 357 Mag, 3" barrel 340=partial shroud 357 Mag, 4" barrel 830=partial shroud 38 Special, 3" barrel 831=full shroud 38 Special, 3" barrel 840=partial shroud 38 Special, 4" barrel 841=full shroud 38 Special, 4" barrel All GP-100 parts are exactly the same as when it first went into production in 1986 with exception of the grips. Beginning in Jan 2008, Ruger began shipping GP-100s with the Hogue rubber monogrip instead of the Ruger rubber grips with Lett rosewood inserts. I don't think any particular year was any better or worse for quality. With Ruger ... you get what you get. Nearly all GP-100s need some internal smoothing and can use some lighter springs. The only intermittent defect I've seen is barrel indexing where the front sight is tilted to the left or right (not year specific). The shroud is the lug under the barrel that either extends from the frame to the muzzle or stops short of the muzzle. The partial or full shroud is purely a matter of personal choice. The partial shroud reduces weight by a few ounces so it affects the balance of the gun. In a 4", I prefer the full shroud but in a 6", a partial shroud balances best for me. Some people prefer a "muzzle heavy" feel where the full shroud would be best. "

Thel

Blackhawk
wm_2827522.jpg

Above is a GP100 6" 1/2 lug from Guns America. Blued versions were also offered. The gun mentioned above (686) may have been fed a steady diet of 125 gr .357 loads which are notorious for the damage that is mentioned. Per Ruger the weight difference between the full lug and half lug is 3 oz, 43 vs. 46 oz. Here is a blued version:

l1_pistols_ruger_gp100_blued_357_magnum_6_inch_barrel_70964.jpg

Onty

Single-Sixer
Thanks Blackhawk on very informative answers.

As a matter of fact, for a while I started looking could 6" barrel from S&W Model 27 be installed on GP100. Once I had 5" Model 27. Boy, I loved its balance. Unfortunately, we in Canada do not have gunsmith like Harton, Bowen, Clements, Huntington, etc. To order something from USA is long and complex process, so I gave up.

Once I found article mentioning that Ruger folks became aware that a number of shooters liked balance of 4" GP100, but complained about muzzle heavy full underlug 6". For that reason I sold S&W 617.

Well, we are not all the same...

If you were in the US you could ship a full-lug GP to Ahlman's Gunsmithing in MN and they would make you any length of half-lug you want (except a 7 1/2"....). I've handled one of their 3 1/2" jobs and it was great.

LAH

Buckeye
Mike Armstrong said:
If you were in the US you could ship a full-lug GP to Ahlman's Gunsmithing in MN and they would make you any length of half-lug you want (except a 7 1/2"....). I've handled one of their 3 1/2" jobs and it was great.

Have to ask, why no 7 1/2?

I had an original Super Blackhawk Bisley in .357 (try to find one of those now!) that I brought from Idaho to NYS to use as a tree stand gun. Used it for a couple of seasons and it was fine--once you got it up the tree!

Decided I didn't need the extra bulk and weight and replaced it with a blue 6" half-lug Jeep that I found used even though the GP-100 was a brand new product then. Used it for many years very successfully on whitetails at Upstate NYS "jungle" distances, even used it DA a couple of times when I or the buck was in a hurry.

I also wish Ruger would return to the half-lug 6" .357 format--still got mine, but I suspect many other shooters would prefer the feel of the half-lug over that slab-sided 6" they now sell.

Onty said:
Thanks Blackhawk on very informative answers.

As a matter of fact, for a while I started looking could 6" barrel from S&W Model 27 be installed on GP100. Once I had 5" Model 27. Boy, I loved its balance. Unfortunately, we in Canada do not have gunsmith like Harton, Bowen, Clements, Huntington, etc. To order something from USA is long and complex process, so I gave up.

I would think that it would be a simple thing for any machinist to mill off the "excess" underlug of the barrel.

LMLarsen

Bearcat
I picked up one of the Lipsey's 5" blued GP100s with no lug a few years ago, and it's become a favorite to shoot. Skeeter was right!

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Came here looking for info on the GP100 as I've found a 4" one locally for $399, with same grips as op. It is blued, a little worn around the barrel tip (holster?), a minor turn ring, but seems good and tight. Thanks to the op I now know to look closely at the forcing cone and top strap. I have a borescope to get a good luck at the innards.
Any other things I should look at?
Thanks.

Latest posts