sr1911 rust

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dlay

Bearcat
Yesterday I got my sr1911 out of the safe and it had rust forming all down the top of slide, was put in wiped down etc. None of my other guns have ever done this. Is there a problem with the steel?

dlay

Bearcat
It was in a safe with several other stainless pistols in a controlled environment and had orange all down the top of slide and in the injection port. It is a different steel than the others..Most of it came off quick, had to work on the other, will take it down tomorrow and see whats inside. It was put up clean.

NikA

Buckeye
Wood grips? At one point, there was an issue with the chemicals used to finish the grips off-gassing and causing rust on the SR1911 series. I've swapped the wood for synthetic to combat this issue on the example I have.

dlay

Bearcat
NikA said:
Wood grips? At one point, there was an issue with the chemicals used to finish the grips off-gassing and causing rust on the SR1911 series. I've swapped the wood for synthetic to combat this issue on the example I have.

No, I put Hogue rubber grips when I got it.

dlay

Bearcat
Read into this on other forums, seems some of these guns suffered from being sandblasted with sand with a corrosive chemical that imbedded into the medal. Ruger said this and have replaced some parts. I will give them a calll and see what they say, if nothing will clean up well and sell it.

Mike J

Hunter
I had an issue with some rust spots under the grips on my SR 1911. Interestingly it didn't show up until I put rubber grips on it. It was barely even noticeable but there were dark spots. I called Ruger. They sent me a shipping label. I sent it in & it was returned about a week later. They gave me a sticker for my trouble. I'm not sure how long ago it was, probably at least a few years if not longer. I would give them a chance before doing anything else.

Mike J

Hunter
dlay said:
I will call them after the holidays.

If you don't mind let us know how it works out. I like to keep track of how they are doing on customer service.

dlay

Bearcat
I called them, got a lesson on keep my safe dry, told him it was only one that I had problems with. He never admitted that they had had rust problems and told me to wipe down with wd 40, which I dont use on firearms much. I thanked him for his time and bye.

Stainless is funny stuff. I have fabricated stainless industrial components for many years.

You can handle two otherwise identical components, be it pipe, fittings, brackets, machinery, tools, knife blades, valve components...One will remain rust free, while the other one may be dusted with rust, near welds, near machining processes, near areas of polishing or buffing. Stainless is easily superficially contaminated when in contact with iron. Buffing a welded or machined surface with a wheel that's previously buffed mild steel will often cause the stainless to rust. Sandblast media that's previously cleaned mild steel will also cause stainless to show rust. Again, it's superficial, so it's easily removed, but just like cancer, if it's not completely removed, it will show signs of rust again.

In industry, it usually didn't matter. If it did become a concern, additional attempts to remove the rust via oils or solvents and polishing with wheels that have never been in contact with mild steel eventually stopped the rust.

In the case of a firearm, if the iron contamination has embedded itself deeply, and if serious attempts to clean the rust off the stainless is not successful, then I do believe the manufacturer has a responsibility to make it right. Finding the "right" customer service representative at Ruger or elsewhere, may require multiple attempts. There are certainly some customer service representatives that consider it their mission to save the company money at any expense, including convincing the customer the defect is good enough, or is somehow the fault of the customer.

dlay

Bearcat
I called them again, got another lesson on dry safes and cleaning, set up a case for it at ruger, said to send it back if wanted and they will look at it. He said if it is deemed my fault, I would pay for repairs..Would never relate to the contaminated metal, said it was a porous stainless and would rust if not taken care of.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I was going to say something about steel wool no matter how fine is something to really avoid around stainless steel guns or even a Scotchbrite pad that ever came near ferrous metals but Wayno got to it before I did and gave a more thorough explanation than I might have. Thanks Wayno. Don

Latest posts