Ream to 357 Maximum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Unfortunately no. The Max is way too long for a standard 357 Mag cyl and the frame.

Just FYi: if you reload ammo and are looking for a hotter 357 Mag, a 357 Max cyl could be turned down shorter to about 1/4" longer than a normal 357 mag cyl (or use a custom cyl) and installed in a standard 357 Mag Blackhawk. This large size frame has about a 1/4" extra space for a longer cyl because it's the same frame used for the 44 mag with its longer chambers.

And just cut down 357 Max cases to reload.

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
How about reaming to 357 Bain & Davis . If I could find a set of dies would it be worth the effort. Actually what I'm saying would there be enough gain for the work and expense involved. I trust your opinions here on this forum

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
I had my 9mm cylinder reamed to the Bain & Davis over 40 years ago. If you keep the cylinders and brass free from any oil and POLISH any toolmarks around the firing pin recoil plate, locking up the cylinder from setback can be nearly eliminated. It also helps if you keep the pressure levels out of the stratosphere. Several loading manuals have decent data on it. It has about 1/3 more powder capacity than the 357 Mag and a little more than the 357 Max. Is it way better than the 357 Mag, no. That is not the point. Wildcats are their own little world of "just because". RCBS used to have them as a special order, other die makers may too. If you use virgin brass there is no need for a form die, just size with enough lube. I reload on my progressive, I do deprime and resize in one big operation. I prime by hand, then load and crimp on the progressive. When I resize I use a carbide 44 Mag die before I run it into the 357/44 B&D sizer.

contender

Ruger Guru
As Hondo44 has pointed out,, there are several problems in trying to convert a mag to a max.

And your questions about the 357 B&D has been covered pretty well above also.

I want to ask a question or three.
What are your desires here? A custom? A hunting gun? More power?

I entertained the idea of a 357 B&D long ago. I discovered it carried with it "issues" enough to where I shied away. I own a few Maxi's,, (Rugers & T/C's.) Those things are super fun,, and easy on the pocketbook when compared to a custom.
If you original desires are for a Maxi,,, then, I'd save the expenses of a custom B&D & just hunt for & buy a Maxi! There was one that sold here just last week for $600 if I recall correctly. It did have a D&T topstrap. But,, it was a Maxi shooter!

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Well my idea was to create a custom, Its now a 357 mag SS Blackhawk with a 6 1/2" barrel. Was thinking along the lines of a 7 1/2 or 10" blued barrel, a blue SBH frame and the afore mentioned 357 Max (now out} or 357 B & D cylinder to go along with the standard 357 mag and the 9mm it has already. I could call it a Hybrid

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,,, understood now.

Creating a custom gun is often a fun project,, and makes for a unique item to enjoy. In your idea,, the B&D would be a possible option,, as you are already planning other custom work. As noted above,, due to the design,, very fine polishing of the chambers & such can reduce the issues often associated with the B&D. Keep us posted as to your project!

Leadhound

Bearcat
no experience, but I understand the 356GNR by Gary Reeder is a great way to up the ponies on the 357. been a tried and proven performer in revolvers.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Back in the day, read in a gun periodical ( I think G&A ) about a custom S&W revolver reamed to .357 Max . In that occasion , it was in conjunction with 4 bullets inside the case .

But at a certain point, the length of the cylinder is the limiting factor for the COL . If your goal is maxium velocity with short bullets , a longer case would provide some incremental gains . For max performance with heavier bullets , somthing like the LBT 187 LFN has most of the weight forewards of the case, allowing more powder space . Such a bullet loaded to 42 CUP will pretty much do what is possible in .357 bore size and Blackhawk cylnder length .

Or take a page from the 5 shot conversions of .45 Colt , and a custom cylinder taking up the whole frame window .

But I do get it . Sometimes doing somthing different just because is a legitimate goal .

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Leadhound said:
no experience, but I understand the 356GNR by Gary Reeder is a great way to up the ponies on the 357. been a tried and proven performer in revolvers.

Yeah ,,,,, That,,, ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
A frame length custom cylinder can easily be chambered in a 1.4 inch long 357 max case (1.6 inches trimmed to 1.4) and 180 grain bullets seated to cylinder length. It'd push on the territory of the max in a standard frame. The barrel would be trimmed so there was only a tiny bit of the stub encroaching on the cylinder window. In fact, if you hold a loaded Max round up to a standard main frame you'll see it almost fits (XTP seated to top crimp groove). You could have it reamed to Max and deep seat the bullet to crimp over the ogive, but I don't see a reason to do that intentionally.

I don't think a gun like that requires a Bisley arrangement as even the Max doesn't generate enough recoil to necessitate a Bisley grip.

For my part, I'd shy away from a working gun in a bottleneck cartridge unless I've thoroughly proven in all climates and circumstances that the gun won't lock up.

5of7

Hunter
I once had a Redhawk in .357 Mg. with a 7-1/2" barrel and in that gun, I loaded some .357 Mg. ammo that far exceeded anything you would find in a loading manual. I will not cite the load, but the velocity for the 180 Gr. Remington HP bullet was crowding the Hell out of 1600 fps.

In the large frame Blackhawk, I think one would get similar results without hurting the gun any.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Trooper Glen said:
Could you ream the cylinder to 360DW?

Good question there.

I bought 100 cases from Grafs for a project. FWIW, they run 1.4" ish and when cut down to 357 Magnum length, run 7 grains heavier the Starline 357 brass. They'll take a beating for sure.

gemihur

a Shootist
Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge, Roanoke, VA
new furniture for contender 357/44 B&D
357-44-B-and-D.jpg

"You could have it reamed to Max and deep seat the bullet to crimp over the ogive,"
Similar to the 19th century Nagant? That's one of those "circle back" things isn't it?

Latest posts