40 in a sr 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dakota1911

Buckeye
If one had a Ruger SR1911-10 and fit a new barrel in it for 40S&W and probably a new recoil spring and of course 40 S&W mags then I think it would be doable. Best to consult a local gun smith. Below the difference in rounds with the revolver on the top which is a 10mm/40S&W Ruger Blackhawk Convertible which has a cylinder for each round.

The expense might be worth it in 1911 land if one had a source of cheap or free 40 S&W.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Tim from Military Arms Channel does it at 3:22 in this video and it works perfectly fine: https://youtu.be/IGUJEkWPqEk

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Yotesmoker: The Colt Delta Is A 10mm. The sr1911 Is a .45acp. Shooting A 40 In A 10mm May Work Because It Is Held In Place By The Extractor Not The Case Mouth.

gunzo

Buckeye
With the Delta or a Ruger 10, & the rest, shooting 40 in them usually works, but it won't work for long.

The extractor is holding the case against the breech face instead of 10mm being properly chambered & headspacing off the case mouth.

I'm not going to set out to prove it, but firing the 40's in the 10mm barrel will surely brake the extractor in time. If not, it's still likely to get spring & out of adjustment.

If I had to? Yeah. But otherwise, like said, I'm not going to take the chance on messing up my stuff.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
bigboredad: Yes I Do, And I Have One. Excuse Me For My .02. It Won't Happen Again. We Will look To You For ALL answers In The Future:

Latest posts