New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varminter22

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Many years ago I quit buying $200 handguns and expecting a $500 result.

Things like the P95 got traded in favor of a C75, my LC9 was replaced by a Glock 43, Taurus 85 became an LCR …. And so on.

I really enjoy going to the range but life's too short to spend hard earned money on guns that don't work the way I'd hoped.

Oh, I agree. Ya usually get what ya pay for. I reckon I just read too many good reviews on the Wrangler. Or maybe mine is just something of a lemon.

And, to be fair, with some gunsmithing, it may be a fun shooter.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Just heard about the birdshead grip Wrangler. Wasn't much interested in the original Wrangler but something (aesthetics?) about these new ones appeals to me.

mac66 said:
Just heard about the birdshead grip Wrangler. Wasn't much interested in the original Wrangler but something (aesthetics?) about these new ones appeals to me.

Check it out. https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=297686

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I have several old and new model Single Sixes, Single Tens, Bearcats and 2 Wranglers. ALL of the manuals printed by Ruger state that dry firing is acceptable to learn how to use the guns.

Although I don't make a habit of extensive dry firing, I do at times. My 1971 Six (bought new) still shows no signs of damage.

I HAVE seen Smiths with dinged cylinders.

I DO understand the issue with rimfires. I DON'T know what Ruger does differently.

As I say with ANY product, read the Owner's Manual and follow the directions....

While the current manuals for New Model guns give the OK to dry-firing all Ruger single-actions it is worth noting that the manuals for the Old Models do not even mention the practice.

It is a well-known observation that "dings" in the cylinders from firing pin strikes are not at all uncommon, regardless of Ruger's apparent dismissal of this possibility . . . particularly with the rimfires. This is one case where I prefer to go with what we see in the field in spite of Ruger's statement. Couldn't hurt. :wink:

JMHO, and in no way a recommendation one way or the other. :)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Picked up a silver one today with the birds head grip. $ 200 out the door. Plastic grip no holster.