Ruger 1911 9mm Commander

Help Support Ruger Forum:

veeman

Single-Sixer
Got mine today, Took it down to clean off the grease and oil, only to find there was none. Dry as a bone. Very surprised. Sure made cleaning easy tho. Got it nice and oiled up and it feels great. I cycled a mag full thru it and I think a heavier recoil spring may be in order. Anyone know whats in it from the factory? Feels light. Can't wait to shoot it. Got a set of wood grips on the way too.
enhance

veeman

Single-Sixer
Took it out this afternoon, shot 6 mags full, Winchester white box 124 fmj. No issues, shot great, hit point of aim. I still think it would benefit with a bit stronger recoil spring, but if it ain't broke....

s4s4u

Hunter
That's a good lookin' gun. Still waiting for them to chop 1/2" off the bottom of the grip of one of those cambered in 45 ACP.

hittman

Staff member
With the factory recoil spring, mine has blown through over 1000 rounds without one failure of any kind. I've shot hot home defense stuff and weak reloads ..... it cycles every round the same; every time. If it ain't broke .....

Bret

Bearcat
I took my new one to the range last week. 100% reliability was the result. :)

veeman

Single-Sixer
Put in a Wilson 16lb spring, no issues. Makes it feel like there is something in your hand now that's reliable. That factory light spring always made it feel like it might work, might not. Always did work, but now it just feels better.

wproct

Single-Sixer
My Kimber Stainless Target II 1911 9mm pistol 's recoil spring is also quite light. Don't know for sure how many pounds, but racking the slide is very easy. I didn't even consider changing the spring to a heavier one, I just figured an easy to rack 1911 pistol is a plus. Mine runs fine, no malfunctions of any kind. I would just leave it as is.