Ruger 77 Hawkeye receiver same as Scout receiver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
For those of you who have both, are the receivers the same or is there a minor difference in the scout receiver to allow for feeding of the cartridges from the scout mags?

The reason I ask is if I wanted to take a 308Win Hawkeye and put it in the new synthetic GSR Scout stock with the built in mag well and trigger guard, could I then just use the scout mags without any other alterations?

Here's the stock from Ruger's store...

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Scout-Synthetic-Stock/productinfo/90574/

I asked Ruger but policy dictates they can't recommend altering any of their firearms from original configuration, so were reluctant to say if it was possible (although I guess it's okay to swap stocks among the Scout variants since they sell the replacement). :D

Thanks for any help.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
You can make it work by modifying the magazines. No need to mill the action, if you're worried about warranty or just plain don't want to......

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
So there is a difference in the actions then. How do they differ? Does the Scout receiver have a longer feed ramp built in or something? How would I need to modify the magazines?

Sorry for the questions, I don't have them here so I'm just curious what the differences are.

THANKS for the reply!

huntsman22

Blackhawk
The ONLY difference in the actions is the milling on the rear of the scout to allow AICS style mags to work. Mags can be easily fitted for use on the Hawkeye or mkII without modifying the receiver. Just dremel/grind the 'ears' off the rear of the mag, and you are good to go. it is also cheaper to butcher a couple mags, than it is to have a 'smith do your action

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Another option for DBM is to use Kevin Wyatt's drop-in bottom metal and mags. Mags are proprietary 5 rounders and NOT aics compatible, tho....308 length only

huntsman22

Blackhawk
SB, if you decide to modify mags, here is a pic of a plastic and steel mag with the rear corners buzzed off to make them work. leave the back of the mag at cartridge width, and go down about 3/16ths, and forward about an 1/8th inch . Take a little at a time and check it for latching. Don't go more than you need to make it work.....

Hello and glad to be part of the crew.
Just picked up a scout stock and had a m77 hawkeye in 308. Building up a scout with polly Ruger mags.
I have both steel and poly in 5 round, i found i had to notch the extractor, trim some on the rear and front of the mags and also some from both sides of the rear of the receiver. My question is : is the feed ramp on the scout as the Hawkeye? It seems that this is the hold up, also the rear of the receiver. I dont mind milling the receiver if this is the case. The mod will be permanent and i wont have to mod mags in the future.
Thanks.

gunzo

Buckeye
CDI's owner passed & they've been out of business for a couple years now. A sad loss.