EC9s trigger slap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Been having fun with my $232 EC9s. The trigger I love is starting to bite a little. Trigger slap as we call it in the AKM world. Anyone experience this? 200 rounds today and my trigger finger was stinging and red on the way home. Actually developed a blister. Is this common in the LC/EC9s or is this something I should address with Ruger? Began to notice a slight kick back in the trigger after each round after 150-160 rounds today. Riding the trigger too hard?

Maybe this is not what you want to hear, but I'll say it anyway and it is only my opinion.

These small concealed carry pistols were not designed to shoot that much... I would never put that many rounds through one at one time.... just too much recoil for me. If I'm going to the range and put 200 rounds through a gun it is going to be a full size pistol

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Shot it today and the finger slap began on the 3rd magazine. Already have a customer service number and a number to call Ruger, 928-541-8892. A Google search of "LC9s trigger slap or bite" reveals it's believed to be a problem of the outer tines of some triggers not finished properly before going to market. Apparently they need to be ground down a bit as they're too long and dig into the finger. $28 an hour to shoot here in CT. You maximize your time arriving with fully loaded magazines and ready to go. I've put 200 rounds through my 372-series LCP in a session. Talk about uncomfortable. : D M639, SR9c and SR9 for slow shooting and tight groups. Absolutely love the EC9s. Appears to be a minor issue. Keep you posted. By the way.......a conservative estimate-my LCP probably has 3500-4000 rounds through it since 2008. That with that ridiculous shortage of .380 ammo for a couple of years. Still rocking the original guide rod and factor spring as well. Ruger, still making tanks even in the polymer era.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Follow up. Fed Exed out (Ruger emailed shipping label) May 17th-returned June 1st. Prescott replaced the "trigger assm" and "Recoil spring assm" Haven't had a chance to check if this cured the wicked trigger slap the EC9s developed, but the work order states "...........27 rounds of Black Hills 9mm with no malfunctions.........." Ruger has always had great customer service when needed.

dogtag69

Bearcat
You are tougher than me about 4 mags and my finger starts stinging so bad I have to quit let us know if it is better when you shoot it I have never looked at the trigger can you tell any different by looking.

blume357 said:
Maybe this is not what you want to hear, but I'll say it anyway and it is only my opinion.

These small concealed carry pistols were not designed to shoot that much... I would never put that many rounds through one at one time.... just too much recoil for me. If I'm going to the range and put 200 rounds through a gun it is going to be a full size pistol

+1

woodsy

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
blume357 said:

+1
Same here, plus my finger(s) seems to be much tougher than most others who complain. Might have something to do with grip practice.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Grip practice, that's a good one. I've been shooting since 1970. Yeah, more than likely it had to do with faulty assembly as my EC9s works fine now that it has returned from Prescott with a new trigger and recoil assembly.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Don't know, but the trigger is certainly "looser" than it was. That is to say there's a very slight bit of play side-to-side and still breaks like glass. Interesting the recoil assembly would be replaced. I'm used to trigger slap in AKMs. That's simple, there's something out of spec and you grind down the shiny parts of the FCG. First for me anyway, trigger slap in a pistol. I bought a 2nd EC9s ($235) and haven't taken it out yet. Best pistol I ever bought for the money, that's for sure.

vba

Bearcat
I've had this issue with my LC9s and found that by placing my trigger finger up to the first knuckle it was greatly relieved.

Using the index finger pad was painful. Try it again by purchasing up to the first knuckle.

woodsy

Blackhawk
hittman said:
My friend has a LC9s Pro and it went back to Ruger for the trigger pinch problem.

They replaced the same stuff on his as yours. He claims it made no difference.

I bought it from him cheap and noticed a little sting but very little. I sent Ruger an email and a man from Prescott called me. In short, I shot it some more and adjusted by grip and finger position and now even carry it some. Don't know if the problem went away on its own or a couple hundred rounds broke it in or maybe my fingers aren't as sensitive. Regardless, I've got a fine little shooter.

And, I agree with Blume ..... belly gun ..... not a range gun.
Yes! Sending the pistol back to Arizona had no effect. Is what is called an "anticipated response".

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:

Completely agree and worth mention because this often overlooked!

StanD

Bearcat
Trigger pinch is definitely an issue. Does not seem to happen with every LC or EC9s or with every shooter which leads me to believe either I'm doing something wrong or some pistols are constructed just a bit different than others. At any rate my EC9s causes a blood blister on the underside of my trigger finger where it gets pinched between the trigger and the trigger guard. As near as I can tell it happens on the recoil during the reset. I had to send it in to Ruger for a fail to feed issue, which they fixed, and noted the trigger pinch issue as well but there was no mention of it when the pistol was returned. It could very well just be something I'm doing wrong but so far I haven't figured it out.
Stan

dogtag69

Bearcat
Tried mine again yesterday with gloves but trigger guard to small for them I want to make this pistol my EDC but I cant if I cant practice with it StanD I've had the same thing happen more than once

StanD

Bearcat
That's the way I feel about it too. I need to spend time with it if I'm going to carry it. I have filed the bottom edge of the trigger which has helped a little and I have used a band aid on my trigger finger which also helped a bit but it's still not pleasant. The EC9s is just the right size to carry but I actually went out and bought a S&W Shield which is close in size. I'm not going to give up yet though. I would really like to know why some LC and EC9s pinch and some do not. I'm sure open to suggestions.
Stan

Purchased my EC9s yesterday for $228 after military discount. Only shot 3 mags through it today for function. Everything fine EXCEPT for the trigger finger pinch/slap or whatever. I will give it a thorough run at the next range trip. Hopefully it is ME and my technique that is the issue.... Standby.

Dave