EC9s trigger slap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just talked to a young gal at Prescott. She encouraged me to have other owners call or email them regarding this issue. She said there doesn't seem to be many other folks calling in with this problem.

Therefore, please call Ruger regarding this issue. Make it known. They can't address an issue they don't know about. Please call...

Dave

StanD

Bearcat
I just got back from the range this morning. Great weather for shooting and no smoke! I took my SR9c, my EC9s, and a recently purchased Shield 9. Ran two magazines through the SR which shoots so nice, then ran just 8 rounds through the EC9s with no hiccup except the trigger bite. Just that few rounds was uncomfortable to shoot. The EC would be a great carry gun but anything I'm going to carry I want to also spend range time with and it is just not fun to shoot. Also ran 100 rounds through the shield which performed well. I wish Ruger would do something with the trigger on the EC9s. What is odd is that not everyone experiences this. In fact I don't remember it being a problem until about 200 or so rounds. I now have over 600 rounds through it and unless I can come up with a solution to this it won't see a lot of use in the future.
Stan

StanD said:
I just got back from the range this morning. Great weather for shooting and no smoke! I took my SR9c, my EC9s, and a recently purchased Shield 9. Ran two magazines through the SR which shoots so nice, then ran just 8 rounds through the EC9s with no hiccup except the trigger bite. Just that few rounds was uncomfortable to shoot. The EC would be a great carry gun but anything I'm going to carry I want to also spend range time with and it is just not fun to shoot. Also ran 100 rounds through the shield which performed well. I wish Ruger would do something with the trigger on the EC9s. What is odd is that not everyone experiences this. In fact I don't remember it being a problem until about 200 or so rounds. I now have over 600 rounds through it and unless I can come up with a solution to this it won't see a lot of use in the future.
Stan

PLEASE——Call Ruger customer service about this... :!:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have a few guns that give me trigger slap and the simple solution is I place a band aid on my trigger finger. My typical practice session I run 100 rounds and I have no problem with my trigger finger.

If I ever had to use my gun in a defensive situation I wouldn't be worried about trigger slap.

Wheeljack

Bearcat
This is a problem with a lot of pistols. I don't have a large hand and still I get pinched between my finger tip and the trigger guard. The problem could be solved if the manufacturers would open up the trigger guard. Make it bigger!!! Or, make the trigger follow the trail of the guard.

Went to the range again to shoot this "economical" finger biter. This time, with some more practice, I was able to fire quite a few rounds with little or no discomfort. I am now happy with it's handling AND accuracy. I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions. Bottom line, the EC9s is good value for the money....

s4s4u

Hunter
Glad you got it figured out. As I had said previously, I didn't experience any discomfort shooting the LC9s.

s4s4u

Hunter
Glad you got it figured out. As I had said previously, I didn't experience any discomfort shooting the LC9s.

EC9s. Absolutely didn't need one, and I didn't even want one, but the price was such that I bought one anyway. Took it to the range yesterday and it shot pleasingly well, with no issues of any kind.

After following this thread, I wondered how I would react to the reported discomfort. I will say after shooting each magazine, I had an impression of the trigger strangely embossed in my finger, with the just the slightest sense of discomfort. Not even enough I would have noticed had I not read this thread.

So yes, there's something going on with this trigger, but it will not affect this little pistols mission.

hittman said:
Wayno ...... I think it was Sportsmans Guide or maybe CDNN that recently had the EC9s for something crazy like $209.00. :shock: Did I see that correctly?

Yes you did. I had a local FFL order mine. I paid him $225 out the door, including shipping and Oregon's background check fee.

As I said, I wasn't in the market, but I couldn't resist such a deal. :mrgreen: And it shoots so well, I would have no problem carrying it.

Bearcat
Had the same problem with the trigger "biting" my finger so I put a file to the trigger face helped a lot..

By the way our LGS had 'em for $189.........

exavid

Hunter
I'd say at $189 a fellow ought to be able to ignore a bit of trigger bite. I either hold the gun differently or maybe there is a difference in my EC9 and LC9s pro but neither gun bothers my trigger finger. Neither does my LCPII for that matter. On the other hand I usually only fire about 50-100 rounds per range trip with these guns. More than that at one time is likely to make me less accurate as these little guns aren't that pleasant for shooting large amounts of ammo at one time. In fact if I'm going to shoot a lot of ammo in one session I'd much prefer either my SR40c or Buckmark .22lr.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
This happens with other striker weapons also. I changed the trigger on my Glock 23 to the smooth variety in an effort to mitigate the trigger slap.

Ruger converted the original LC9 (DAO trigger) to a striker weapon in order to pander to the many shooters of the Glock era. The old Double action pull was superb and the trigger has very little over-travel. As a result, with practice the LC9 was very shootable and quite safe. Ruger changed to striker in response to respond to customer demand and to compete with the S&W Shield.