Lubricants

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I've used several different lubes, sometimes it's whatever is sitting close at hand. I shot at my brother's house in a different state and he uses different lubes than I generally do. So far, everything has worked just fine.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
I use Break Free CLP on all my firearms. I have several 1911s, including Baer and Wilson Combat and have been shooting IDPA competition for years. I never use grease on these pistols or my AR15s. The only firearms I use grease on are my M14 type rifles and my M1 Garands. CLP is a wonderful lubricant! JMHO

I was in Barrow, Alaska. Went to the gravel pit to shoot my RedHawk .44 mag in -20F. I killed multiple soda cans as did a friend that came with me. My only complaint was how stiff the action was. My Eskimo friends told me to swab down the RedHawk with alcohol (degreaser), and try again. I did, and the stiffness was gone! They mentioned they shoot all semi autos without lube in the Arctic.
gramps

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
The advice your Eskimo friends gave you sounds reasonable to me. However, when we ptarmigan hunt in very cold temperatures we use WD40 on our shotguns to keep them from failing to function. Always works for me.

bayou5252 said:
Grease - your choice - on the slides.

Oil - your choice - everywhere else.

Not hard, really...

Best post I've seen yet.

In all the lube threads I've seen, every conceivable product has worked. Use the appropriate amount for the conditions, in the right places, go shooting.

edlmann

Blackhawk
gramps said:
Get Wood said:
When I Was A Pup All My Old Man Had In Our House Was Hoppe's #9 & 3in1 Oil.... The Rest Haden't Been Invented Yet ....
Plus Singer (sewing machine)company made 1911's also. I bet they came with a can of 3 in 1 oil?
gramps
Back in the day, my grandmother had a "White" brand sewing machine and they had their own brand oil:

s-l300.jpg

I suspect it was slightly diluted 3-in-1, but who knows.

Enigma

Hunter
edlmann said:
gramps said:
Get Wood said:
When I Was A Pup All My Old Man Had In Our House Was Hoppe's #9 & 3in1 Oil.... The Rest Haden't Been Invented Yet ....
Plus Singer (sewing machine)company made 1911's also. I bet they came with a can of 3 in 1 oil?
gramps
Back in the day, my grandmother had a "White" brand sewing machine and they had their own brand oil:

s-l300.jpg

I suspect it was slightly diluted 3-in-1, but who knows.

All the sewing machine oil that I ever used was just plain old mineral oil.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I have just switched to Lucas gun oil. I use their products in my cars and trust the name. I have used WD40 in the past, CLP, LSA and Break Free and some others and had good results. The only thing I would stay away from is Frog Lube. It was very popular out here on the west coast for a while until various police and sheriffs departments started having problems. It was turning to green glue and causing problems. Granted some were over lubing and in the wrong places but one agency was having so many problems they thought they had a bad batch of guns. Factory reps came out and started taking guns apart and found a bunch of gummed up guns. My old department and others have banned it's use.
I learned this at a advanced Glock Armorers course and the department was L.A.P.D., the guns were Glocks.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
A recently deceased friend of mine was a degreed engineer who worked designing guns for the original William B. Ruger. Was fairly high up in Ruger's Prescott, AZ plant before retiring.

He said use synthetic engine oil, lubes and helps clean the gun. Works for me. Don

98PK

Bearcat
I use LSA on AR style rifles. I use Lubriplate No. 130-A grease on M-1 rifles. Sometimes I use a little of both on each. Wilson Ultimate Lube goes on pistols sometimes too, but a bottle of cheap automatic transmission fluid is about the same thing. I tend to get a good amount of oil or grease (or both) in the slide grooves. You can over do it, I guess, but if mine hangs-up, it ain't gonna be 'cause it's dry!
I have Hoppe's solvents for bore cleaning. I got the foam, Copper Out and good ole No. 9. Don't really need much else.

Mike J

Hunter
98PK said:
I use LSA on AR style rifles. I use Lubriplate No. 130-A grease on M-1 rifles. Sometimes I use a little of both on each. Wilson Ultimate Lube goes on pistols sometimes too, but a bottle of cheap automatic transmission fluid is about the same thing. I tend to get a good amount of oil or grease (or both) in the slide grooves. You can over do it, I guess, but if mine hangs-up, it ain't gonna be 'cause it's dry!
I have Hoppe's solvents for bore cleaning. I got the foam, Copper Out and good ole No. 9. Don't really need much else.

You can overdo it. The only malfunction I ever had with an old Ruger P-series pistol was due to over lubrication. I was trying shooters choice grease. I put on more than I should have. The pistol failed to eject the fired case. I locked the slide back & looked inside. When the gun got hot the grease had migrated through the whole pistol. The extractor was coated with it. That was why it had slipped off the rim.

George

Blackhawk
Hey, just a comment here. These days just so many choices. I'm pretty traditional I use any good grade of Gun oil Hoppes Gun oil or Hoppe's Elite gun oil, REM oil in the spray can has its place. I like the rem oil in the squeeze container also as the viscosity is much more like regular Gun oil. Better grades of oil will not go Rancid. I ran out of oils a few years ago use some three-in-one oil on a nightstand gun. You know how long they can sit around. Approximately a year later unloaded the gun. Yeah! You couldn't spin the cylinder it would almost hang when you pull the trigger and this is on a stock Smith and Wesson Chief Special! The three-in-one oil went rancid and gummed up completely. I have no problem with what people use I must say before I make this statement anything will work in a pinch particularly if you're going to run the gun not let it sit. But I put some mobile one very little bit in a small container and put different rubbers Plastics and o'rings in that container including nylon plastic over a relatively short a mount of time they all turn to mush or! Some Firearms contain plastic parts some Firearms do have O-rings in conjunction with their gas tubes or gas systems. I hesitate to use full synthetic motor oil in these guns. I've got about 45 years in handling storing using firearms less then some more than many. This is just my experience with these oils. And I never have been one to say if it slides grease it if it turns oil it. There's an exception to everything just my two cents worth. George

George

Blackhawk
Never tried Marvel on firearms. Years ago used to swear by it in the crankcase and in the gas tank . Also everyone used it in in Marine engine in the 60s pretty much . But have used on everything else pretty much accept firearms, yeah maybe worth a try. darn good stuff! George

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I use what ever is in the rag on the bench, and they ain't no telling what is in it. Everything from CLP, Ballistol, Rem oil and grease, motor oil of some brand and weight, ATF, no telling what all. I have never had a lube related malfunction nor a rust problem. Some of my fire arms are 50 years old with tens of thousands of rounds fired. I cannot believe any decent lube is better than the others.