The 10/22 Spencer Carbine Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I was warned by some wood workers in the know, not to try and stain the stock with typical wood stain. I was instructed to use a dye. I had found a guy on line who made a replacement birch M1 Carbine stock look like a military issue walnut one, so I followed his lead.
I used some Fiebings dark brown leather dye and a cotton swab

xLSy01jl.jpg

I followed with some brown shoe polish

3Hn11cBl.jpg

here is what it looks like in the natural light, there are some dark areas, but I think it looks pretty authentic

qcemJorl.jpg

8iBtb2Jl.jpg

here I laid it over the top of an unmodified factory stock so you can see what changed

ZJ1cTbOl.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
I've been following your stock project with interest.
What brand/type of shoe polish did you use?....I ask that because I've used the same Fiebings dark brown leather dye on birch that you used, but it always came out more reddish-orange than brown. Presently, I have about a fourth of a bottle left on hand which is a mixture of the original leather dye and "some sort" of alcohol-based brown stain(?) which I'd added some two years ago.

Whatever it was that I added made the dye work great relative to producing a more brown color, highlighting what little grain that birch has, and soaking in right so's I could later start with my usual (long drawn out) BLO process.
Thing is though.....for the life of me, I can't remember what it was that I added to the dye which made it work so good. At any rate, the last photo of your stock looks a lot like how some of mine turned out so perhaps it was shoe polish, dunno....can't remember.

Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated.

DGW

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
The shoe polish was Kiwi brand standard brown color

The stock looked a little better before the shoe polish, but the polish added dimension. The stock looks like a used military stock in person (hard to catch in the pictures)

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Coming down to the end.

I installed the extended magazine release and performed an action job.

The rear leaf sight I bought would not fit, so I installed this Williams peep sight. While the picatinney rail doesn't look period correct, the peep sight does.

nqDm5I1l.jpg

Next I installed the barrelled action into the stock and checked the fit of the barrel band.

AAqc5W4l.jpg

As I expected it would not fit as the new location is farther up the barrel where it is thicker. I needed to remove some material with a file

HYv9Y9rl.jpg

Now it fits

6SL2ej1l.jpg

I then cleaned up the barrel band to prepare it for satin black paint

3b05IECl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
here is the latest blog post (which is lagging behind the progress here)

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-ruger-spencer-carbine-part-2.html

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Here it is "done" for now, I will be adding a dove tail filler blank and swapping the peep site for the version without the picatinney rail.

JMWCH1Ml.jpg

EC7wfwzl.jpg

vv1oc4Zl.jpg

MM4VTC8l.jpg

eK1vuzBl.jpg

I'll have more pictures on my blog soon

rattlegun

Bearcat
Beautiful! It was looking a little rough along the way but now that it's complete what a looker!

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
thanks guys! I have already replaced the rear sight with a William's Peep that doesn't have the picatinney rail. Waiting now for the dovetail filler blank and then I'll take new pictures

My next project will be a tactical 10/22 stock

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
The gun is finally done

more pictures can be found at my blog

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-ruger-spencer-carbine-part-3.html

n9sG9hzl.jpg

QesJftVl.jpg

On to the next project!

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
A quick update 5 years later.....

I blued the bolt, added a custom 1.5" sling made from an old leather belt and then created a brass charging handle from some lamp parts and a Ruger emblem

QrZxL2rl.jpg

mvOhOPel.jpg

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Looks nice.

A cavalry carbine would have had the saddle ring, which attached to an over the shoulder sling. The muzzle of the carbine rode in a small socket (or boot), attached to the rigging. That way, whenever the trooper dismounted, he had his carbine attached to him. Artillery carbines had regular sling swivels.

Latest posts