.454 casull load with Unique and 230gr rn

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Haven't emptied the brass yet but looking forward to loading this caliber. I have lots of Berry's 230gr fmj round nose bullets and plenty of unique powder already. I haven't seen any loads with this combo. Was even looking for this combo in 45 colt but came up short also. Rounds will be used for plinking.
Powder is scarce around here still so would like to use what I have.
Recommendations?

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
My Lyman manual lists 14.5 start to 16.2 max of unique using a 225gr speer jacketed hollowpoint and 14.8 start to 15.6 max using a 240gr xtp.

I don't have a chrono and want to be safe in all my loads. Would these loads be safe with a 230gr fmj bullet? Is there a rule of thumb for switching jacketed bullet types?

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
I do use it for shotshell loads and a short barreled 44spl with a 180gr bullet with good results but initially I'd be hesitant to use it in the 454 capabilities.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
If I look at the 45 colt loads of unique for similar bullets ( 225 jhp and 240 jhc) the powder weights are almost half (8-9 grns)
Has anyone loaded 45 colt loads in the 454 cases?
What affect does adding .100 to the case capacity cause?
Thanks in advance.

Please enlighten me as to why you would be hesitant to use Unique in the 454? I know there are probably better powders for this caliber but until I get some other powders I'd like to fiddle with Unique. As a new reloader I appreciate all the info I can get.

paul105

Single-Sixer
From Berry's website:

FAQ: Is separation a problem with Plated Bullets?
Separation is very rare. Two things can cause a jacket to separate from the lead core: excessive speeds (magnum velocities) and a real tight roll crimp (cuts through the plating). If you'll keep these two items in check you shouldn't have a problem with bullet separation.

FAQ: Load Data for Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets
Currently published load data is limited to some calibers by Accurate, Western Powders and Hodgdon. We are working with these companies to get data published for all of our bullets.

We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data. Make sure data is below 1250fps unless you are using a Thick-Plated bullet that we list a higher max velocity for like the 9mm 124gr HBRN-TP that can be shot to 1500fps in open class guns like a .38 Super. Keep in mind that since our plated bullet has the same pressure curve as a hard cast bullet, the published cast data will be very close to what you will get with our plated bullets. If you use Jacketed data with our plated bullets you can get from 5% - 8% increase in velocity using that data.

Other than the data from Western and Accurate for the 9mm, .40S&W and Hodgdon .40S&W there is no printed data available.

For further questions you can email [email protected]

http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq.aspx?n=569376

I would think that 8.0 to 10.0 gr of Unique in .454 should give you a good plinking load -- remember, Berry's plated bullets are not designed for high velocities.

FWIW,

Paul

Jim Puke

Hunter
Galaxiedan said:
My Lyman manual lists 14.5 start to 16.2 max of unique using a 225gr speer jacketed hollowpoint and 14.8 start to 15.6 max using a 240gr xtp.

I don't have a chrono and want to be safe in all my loads. Would these loads be safe with a 230gr fmj bullet? Is there a rule of thumb for switching jacketed bullet types?

Now, I have never adhered to this completely, but it is best to stick to the exact components listed in manuals.

Rocky Raab, noted reloader and gunwriter, says that changing jacketed bullets from the specific bullet used in the load data can increase the pressure to dangerous levels. I will defer to those more knowledgeable about jacketed bullets and pressure characteristics as I have MUCH more experience with cast bullets.

I know many will be along to say that they have always substituted bullets of the same weight from a different manufacturer with no ill effects. While I have no doubt about their truthfulness, as I have done the same, it could still create a problem...and it only takes one to have dire consequences. The older I get, the more wisdom I see in erring on the side of
safety.JMO

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
My apprehension is due to the load density volume.
I'm one of those people that like to fill the case as full as possible, leaving very little free air space in the case. Yes I know it's one of many reloading debates.
While I don't remember the % of volume that was preferred or unacceptable, I do remember Unique to be barely suitable for my situation in 45Colt even though the factory duplication of a 250gr cast bullet is 9.0gr of Unique.
I would expect this to be multiplied using it in the 454 and especially if you use a 454 case with a 45Colt load.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
I guess plinking loads can use Unique..(I call it "Obsolique")

When I think of .454 Casull, I think of BIG doses of W296... 8)

Not much help...sorry

Thanks Bucks. I like Unique but not for .454. :lol:

Them ole bigguns scream for 296, no? Ask TEK or Okie... :D

Seancass

Bearcat
I've done some light loads with unique before, down in the 10-12 grain range. It doesnt seem to mind a little air space. Other powders Really do mind, but it seems unique is pretty even tempered.

If you want the Perfect powder for that bullet in 454 you Need some Trail Boss! I love it in 454, makes it shoot like a 38 and you can use inexpensive bullets.

You don't Have to run the 454 full throttle to thoroughly enjoy these guns!

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
As a curiosity question regarding unique powder, what would happen if you had a really light load in a large case like a 454? Do you just run the risk of a squib or does it affect pressures in a bad way? I'm talking 5-6 grains.

DGW1949

Hunter
Galaxiedan said:
As a curiosity question regarding unique powder, what would happen if you had a really light load in a large case like a 454? Do you just run the risk of a squib or does it affect pressures in a bad way? I'm talking 5-6 grains.

My experience with the 45LC shows that a Unique-load that light does not create enough pressure to properly seal the case to the chamber. The result of that is erratic velocities and very sooty cases which soon lead to hard extraction. I can only assume that using a simular load in a slightly longer case would only compound those problems.
Squib loads?....yeah, one can download any cartridge enough to accomplish that...no matter the powder.

Just as a side note;
It seems to me that when we're talking about this sort of thing, that what we are actualy talking about is the ill effects of trying to download a .454 to .38 power levels...or lower. When I was still fooling around with the CAS-thing, it wasn't uncommon to see guys with bullets stuck in their bores or guns so filthy that they couldn't be cocked. If I had to guess, I'd reckon that there's more CAS shooters using a gun with a bulged barrel than any other group of shooters that I've ever been around......so....it also seems to me that if ya want to shoot a .38 (or a .32), perhaps THAT is what ya should be shooting....just sayin'.

DGW

DC Plumber

Bearcat
I load 11.0g of Universal under a 250g JHP XTP and have chrono'd them out of my Ruger Alaskan at 1050fps.

I think thus is the max load for a colt 45 in a Ruger in Speer Number 14.

Since the 250g XTP is not a MAG XTP, it should not be driven at high pressures and velocities according to Hornady.

It's a great plinking load.

DC Plumber

Bearcat
I have 3000 200g LSWC for my 45 autos and plan on trying some light plinkers using these in my 454 casual cases for my son. I want to try using my 45auto taper crimp die and probably the max load listed for a 45 auto using Universal.

I couldn't imagine even a squib load lodging in a 2.5 inch barrel.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
DC Plumber said:
I have 3000 200g LSWC for my 45 autos and plan on trying some light plinkers using these in my 454 casual cases for my son. I want to try using my 45auto taper crimp die and probably the max load listed for a 45 auto using Universal.

I couldn't imagine even a squib load lodging in a 2.5 inch barrel.
Do you have a chrono to see what that load would be running?

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Yes, I do have a chrono and will test them. Probably won't be until spring though. We are already 10" above normal for snow fall and I probably will spend the winter making up some of those 3000 bullets into loads for the 1911. And the rest of my free time clearing snow.

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Ya, Ya.........you guys are funny, but like I tell my kids while we're bonding with our snow shovels, the cold and snow keep the riff raff out. Don't have to worry about poisonous snakes or spiders either. Truck might ride like an old hay wagon for a few months of the year, but you can also leave it run at walmart while you're inside getting a few essentials.