.454 casull load with Unique and 230gr rn

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I was born in Michigan so I'm no stranger to cold and snow. And I feel for you guys that still have to deal with it. Bad thing about living in Florida is when its 40 degrees out we feel like we're freezing!

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Hey sweetwiiliams, ya, I hear ya. It's primarily an experiment to see how accurate the alaskan can be. Those LSWC bullets are for the 1911s.

Merry Christmas to all.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
SweetWilliam said:
I don't want to sound harsh but I wouldn't waste my time reloading a bunch of 230gr. RN for 454.

I agree, I was just curious about the combo for plinking because I have all the components to put them together without spending a penny extra. I'm still on the lookout for some h110 and some heavier bullets for the 454. Went to a local gun show on Sunday looking and came home empty handed.

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Well, I was working on loading those 3000 LSWC for my 45s and I thought I'd make up that 454 Casull sample load with a 200g LSWC with some 231. Since my 250g JHP XTPs are .452 I thought that the .452 LSWC meant for 45 autos should fit the case fine. It did. In fact crimping with a thumb nail thickness of shoulder sticking above the case like my 45 loads, the AOL was the same as my JHP XTP loads. With minimal mouth expansion, the bullet fit nice and snug. I taper crimped it in my 45auto die and it's ready for a test. I used 6.0g of 231. This is the max charge for a 45 auto according to Lyman's 49th. In a big Casull case, pressure should be a nice mild plinkers for my son to learn how to shoot and handle the big guns. When I get a chance to test shoot it, I'll post the results. I'll decide then if it's worth loading up a dozen for accuracy testing. This us all for fun. Don't anyone get the idea that I'm trying to turn my 454 into a mouse fart gun. Besides, who would want to get shot by a 200 g LSWC going 800 fps? Stay tuned.

blackbearhunter

Bearcat
Here a little data to checkout.Good luck!
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=454%20Casull&Weight=240&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Onefifth

Bearcat
I dropped just under 14gr. of unique under a 255 hard cast wide flat nose this afternoon and it was definitely consistent and accurate. Most full house 454 loads are just too much for me, even for whitetails.