Sunsonic ammo in SR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

greekelk

Bearcat
Recently received a new SR22 as a gift. Beside one box of 40 yr old Western Xpert 22LR haven't been able to fine much ammo here in central FL. I recently came across a box (500) Remington Subsonics (1050 velocity 93 ft lbs). I know the manual says subsonics may not cycle properly (read that after purchasing). Has anyone had any experience with this ammo in an SR22 or any subsonics for that fact. Thanks :roll:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
YES, TRUE. BUT, almost every HI-SPEED/HI PERFORMANCE/SUPERX/MINIMAG ETC ETC ETC 22LR load you put in the SR22 and shoot will ALSO be of subsonic performance; That is to say well under 1070FPS.

wwb

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
YES, TRUE. BUT, almost every HI-SPEED/HI PERFORMANCE/SUPERX/MINIMAG ETC ETC ETC 22LR load you put in the SR22 and shoot will ALSO be of subsonic performance; That is to say well under 1970FPS.
Ummmm..... don't want to burst your bubble, but the speed of sound is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1100 fps...... well short of 1970.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
wwb said:
WIL TERRY said:
YES, TRUE. BUT, almost every HI-SPEED/HI PERFORMANCE/SUPERX/MINIMAG ETC ETC ETC 22LR load you put in the SR22 and shoot will ALSO be of subsonic performance; That is to say well under 1970FPS.
Ummmm..... don't want to burst your bubble, but the speed of sound is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1100 fps...... well short of 1970.

WHOOOOOOPS....meant 1070 and thanks for noting it !!! I will go correct it now.

greekelk

Bearcat
Thanks for the info --- but has anyone experienced cycling problems with the subsonic ammo.

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
I've shot sub sonics out of my sr22,they do not cycle the action at all.You have to put each round in at a time and manual eject every shell.Not very quiet like out of a rifle either.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
I have a browning challenger pistol, a colt huntsman pistol and a Remington 552 rifle. All semi-automatic , all cycle properly with subsonic match 22

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have tried CCI Quiet-22 ammo in my SR22p and it has to be hand cycled bit it feeds from the magazine with no problem. It is not all that quiet in a pistol or in the Sp101-22 and accuracy is marginal. I only bought 2 50 round packs to try at the range and don't think i would ever want any more.

Quiet 1

Single-Sixer
phonejack said:
I have a browning challenger pistol, a colt huntsman pistol and a Remington 552 rifle. All semi-automatic , all cycle properly with subsonic match 22
And I have 2 Belgium made Browning Challengers, a Browning Medalist, a Browning Buck Mark, a Smith & Wesson Model 41 and a GSG 1911-22. All semi automatics. Since I've owned them, the S&W, Buck Mark and GSG 1911-22 since new, the only ammo they've ever seen is CCI Standard Velocity. Unless I get too lazy cleaning them, that's normally around 500 rounds, they all cycle 100% perfectly. And, I'm talking about thousands of rounds through all of them.

I don't know about the SR-22. It may be more ammo picky or come with some very strong recoil springs. :?: My recommendation: Give it a try and let us know how it goes. :)

jeffjeeptj

Bearcat
I have shot sub-sonics out of a Walther P22 with and without can with no troubles. Have an occasional cycle issue in a Buckmark.
No troubles in a SR22.

Arby

Bearcat
I just came back from the range after firing my new SR 22 for the first time. The bulk of the session was CCI Mini Mags but near the end I fired a couple of magazines of PMC subsonic. The weapon fired and cycled flawlessly throughout the session. I'm glad that it can handle the subsonic since I have 10,000 rounds of it and none of my other 22's can reliably cycle it.

My SR22 has had 400-500 rounds of HV through it before I tried the 'sub-sonics' but I didn't see much problems with the SS ammo. Aguila, RWS, & CCI all cycled @ 90% or better.
"CCI QUIET" is a different critter. I think it's advertised at around 800fps and doesn't cycle anything consistently.
Take those advertised velocity claims with a grain of salt. Those are extremely dependent on barrel length and bore condition. In many cases, a round labelled HV may reach 1200+fps from a long, smooth rifle barrel but only make 'standard velocity' (or less) from a 4" pistol barrel.