Interested in reloading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimbo54

Bearcat
I've been reloading off and on for almost 40 years Maddy. I'm using the Lee Anniversary kit now, and it works just fine. I think I bought it new on Ebay or Amazon (don't remember) pretty reasonable. Like someone else said, get a loading book or two, your dies/shell holder, then figure out what components you need. I load 38/357 and my son uses it for 45acp. I don't load that much anymore, so I take my time and just enjoy it.
You can always add other things later as you go and you'll learn more about what you really need. Most important is a good loading manual and READ IT !! You'll learn quickly. Good luck.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
The only thing I have to add of any use is once you start--you're headed down the path of OCD disorders. : ) Another thing I would suggest is getting a welcome mat for your front door that says "absolutely no smoking" once you've laid in a bunch of powder. : )

powerkords

Bearcat
Check out iraqveteran8888 on you tube. He's got a ton of reloading how-to videos. I've just started reloading myself and after watching several of his videos, I'm pretty confident that I'm doing it right.

Passtime

Bearcat
I just got set up about two months ago. It cost me $473.00 rounded, for everything I needed and I mean everything.

Lee Classic Turret Press, Kit 45 ACP dies and a kinetic bullet puller including shipping = $260.00
1000 CCI #300 primers including shipping and hazmat fee = 78.99....OUCH!
2 lbs IMR SR4756 Powder including shipping and hazmat fee = $88.00 DOUBLE OUCH !
500 .452 LRN bullets free shipping = 46.12
500 .45 ACP brass = 0.00 (I had saved some up)

If I could have found powder and primers at the same place I would have saved about $28.00 on one of the hazmat fees.

My budget was originally $500.00 so I am satisfied.

jgt

Buckeye
If you have a gun club near you with a shooting range, join if possable. Go there and ask about reloading. Some clubs hold reloading classes or clinics when there is enough interest. Some clubs have reloading equipment that members can use. Some clubs also can get reloading componants by their members "group buying" in bulk. Club members often place ads on the club bulletin board when they want to sell reloading related items. If you live where there is more than one check into all of them before deciding which one or ones to join. Good luck.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
The best advice I ever got when learning is if you have a load you're not sure about--have a friend test it--and if you don't hear a scream after the bang you're good to go!

JUUUUST kidding. Reloading is very rewarding--but requires tedious attention to detail at times. Saving money is the delusional mantra we repeat to ourselves to justify keeping going with the addiction--which is what it really is LOL.

Seriously though, there is nothing quite like developing a load tuned for your particular weapon and the knowledge of ballistics performance you will get.

So here are a few tidbits I would add:

1. DO NOT BE DAUNTED: it's not nearly as hard or as complicated as it seems; and most reload manuals do a good job of introducing you to the fundamentals. Read them through a couple of times and then have a friend walk you through a couple of times for your first go.

2. Select an "easy caliber" which has a wide and forgiving load range. My opinion is that 308 win cannot be beat for learning on. While 45 acp is straightforward--you won't learn much about neck-sizing or seating to lands.

3. Everyone--myself included--will always tell what in their opinion is the best way to load a particular round--but EVERY weapon is different--including the same model made by the same manufacturer--so don't expect to get the same results necessarily. That said, ALWAYS pay attention to any advice in regards to safety.

4. Beware the "net expert(s)"--and don't hesitate to get a second (or third...or fourth) opinion.

In case you haven't figured it out--I am NOT an expert. : )

RandyP

Bearcat
My fall-back is often Lost Sheep's top 10 list of advice.

If the reader does not have the patience to read though it all and is unable to understand the advice? Maybe it would be better if they take up golf?

Reloading is not dangerous, it is hazardous. Follow the rules and stay within published loads and it is a fun, rewarding hobby.

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
I have reloading since I was a very young teenager. I still say it is simple unless you want to make it complicated.

I know that many enjoy complicating things, including reloading. But for a beginner, my advice is KISS. Then when no longer a beginner, there will be a multitude of opportunities to expand as interests broaden. I have used this with my family and friends and it works.

tecuhma

Bearcat
Maddy345 said:
I have never even seen anyone reload ammo in my life let alone attempted it myself. I know this is a hard question to answer but can anyone give me a general idea of how much it will cost to get into reloading .45 ACP? Can you recommend any websites that might give a basic overview of "How to"?
If you look at reloading on " U - TUBE CHANNEL " You will get the basic idea.
I use a Dillion RL 550C for pistols, an RCBS single stage Rock Chucker Supreme for rifles and large caliber handgun loads, because of the deep throat and more ridged press design.
A Mec 600 for shot shells and a Lyman all American multi stage (rotating head) again for pistols.
I started with a Lee Champion single stage press. In addition to various measuring tools and case polishing items such as a vibrator tumbler (LYMAN ) and a rotary tumbler and a LYMAN CASE EXPRESS as well as a lyman manual powder scale and an electronic DPS #1200 electronic powder scale and with powder discharge.
All of my presses are kept in an air conditioned work space.
I may draw some laughs here but I still use my Lee Champion Press simply because it's so darn easy to set up , switch calibers , and prime large or small primers. ( DEPENDING ON CALIBER ).
PLUS they are very inexpensive ! You will need a good scale , case trimmer, reloading manual, powder , bullets and primers + reloading dies in your caliber if choice. (Lee are guaranteed for life)
I have been reloading almost 50 years. I go on line to different power and bullet sights and look at their Data Sheets for powder & Bullet selections ! Another inexpensive way to gather data on your caliber specific hand loads. I like Horandy and Speer & Berry's Bullets.
Go to your local range after picking up a reloading manual ( I own so many , as powders and cases as well as bullet designs change over the years ) So pick up a good one !
If you need any further help you can reach me right here.
Hope This Helps ?

Kenny B.

Bearcat
Tecuhma is pretty much on target for what I would write. So, I will try not to make this lengthy. One of the best pieces of advice I ever read many moons ago was, "Why not start out with what you will eventually end up with?" Forty years ago, I began my adventures in hand-loading. First for shotguns, using a MEC single stage press. Then, I got into center fire rifles, using an RCBS Jr press. Next, on to handguns. I found a single-stage press for handgun calibers was too time consuming. In 1979, I invested in a Dillon Square Deal press for .45's and .38's. It was a wise investment. The Dillon press reloads only handgun rounds. But, it is fast, convenient and virtually fool-proof, provided you pay attention to what you're doing. Again, ask yourself how much ammunition you THINK you will want to produce. If you only plan on shooting a box or two of 50 rounds per week, then hand loading will probably not be a viable option. Factory ammo will serve you better financially. However, if like me now living in an empty nest and idle time is abundant (fully retired), hand loading can be a relaxing hobby. If you might plan to reload handgun calibers beyond the .45 ACP, Dillon offers caliber conversion kits for a nominal cost. Make sure you include in your decision making a good quality scale to measure your powder charges. Unique or W231 propellants are good choices, as they offer good flexibility in "standard" handgun loads. Lastly, not knowing the .45 you own, if it is a Glock, that company advises NOT using plated or cast projectiles. That caveat applies only due to the unique style of rifling their barrels have. Otherwise, any other brand of .45 broadens your horizons considerably relative to your projectiles of choice. Good luck and enjoy!

langenc

Single-Sixer
The gentleman that said "too bad your at the other end of the state....."

If you belong to a shooting club just ask around. If you dont belong, go to one and ask who reloads and ask if you can observe them reloading. I bet 90% will say "SURE-TUE eve."

Caution-you will never save $$ reloading...and when you die you will have a thousand bucks setting in equip and 'supplies..

As one of thlse TV guys used to say WAY back in the 50/60s--"just the facts mam.."

I started hand loading in 2008 for my SP-101 with a Lee hand-loader(it take two hands). I was in a pawn shop looking at guns etc and noticed a Lee single stage for $30, and itvcame home with me. The died I already had fit it too. Keep your eyes/ears open. People die and the family doesn't know how to dispose of what is left behind. DO NOT RIP THEM OFF. I give them a good price backed up by references on line. Still you won't be paying a gougers price either. Some powder cans/bottles have prices on them, and that is what I pay! Typically much lower than getting from a store these days. Good luck.
gramps