.45 Colt and W296/H110 Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Without belaboring the point much further, it's worth remembering that Ruger, and other "mainstream" manufacturers, proof fire their guns to some pressure considerably above SAAMI-spec "standard" loads. These proof levels are usually known as we can see in some posts, revealing the safety factor for the gun and load in question. We do not know for sure how some "custom" guns are proofed and therefore do not know what safety factors are established. Same applies to the popular "Ruger only" loads. As Contender mentions, we assume that John has taken all this into account during the process of developing his fine guns and ammo.

Thor's daddy, none of my comments are directed at you personally. Sorry if it came off that way. :)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've seen lots of "Ruger only" loads, and yes, they specify pressure. But I have yet to see something that came from Ruger which recommends using anything above "standard" (Read SAAMI) loads. In fact, it's only recently that Ruger seems to have ok'd handloads. At STANDARD industry pressures.

Look up "SAAMI blue pill proof loads" and see what you find. From what I've seen, they are the industry standard proof loads here in the US, at 150% of the SAAMI spec pressure for a given cartridge. So the lowly .45 Colt at 14,000 psi is proofed at 21,000 psi. Suddenly, that 30,000 psi number we've been talking about doesn't look quite so safe to me at 150% of 150% of "standard" pressure.

Now, since we don't have the "every gun is proofed to regulation specs" law/practice used in Europe, we're only guessing at what kinds of overloads are all that safe here in the States. As the man once told me, "Ruger knows what they build, so you might want to pay attention to what they tell you."

Years ago, when deciding what kind of revolver I wanted with a "4" in it, I talked to a lot of people about hot dogging a .45 Colt or buying a .44 Mag where the factory had already done the work for me. Call me timid and shy, but I ended up with a .44 Mag. To each his own.

Rick C

aciera

Bearcat
Sorry I didn't get back.
What 6 shot said is still wrong.
A proof load is NOT 200 % of SAAMI.............
+P is 10% over SAAMI if the round has a +P load.
All do Not. Like the Colt 45
+P+ WHICH THERE IS NO SAAMI STANDARD.....is 25% to most folks
A proof load is 30-50%over SAAMI standard.
I believe for the 454 in the SRH it was 30% over......

So if someone will explain how six shots statement Of proof loads being 200% is correct.........Maybe I missed something.

I stand by my statement...........

Last edited: