Splitz' Engraved .44 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll post a few pics and let Mike fill in the details.

r44oar.jpg

r44loa.jpg

rg44rsc.jpg

rg44topfrm.jpg

rg44ftst.jpg

rg44bkst.jpg

Gorgeous gun!

flatgate

Doc44

Single-Sixer
I have always been a big fan of engraved revolvers and that is a great looking FT 44. I would like to know the "rest of the story". :)

Bill
Life Member RCA

americal

Hunter
NOW :arrow: :arrow: that is how engraving should be done :!: really like the top strap --that micro sight is eye pleasing 8)

gunman42782

Hunter
WOW! That is beautiful Mike! Honest to God, one of the prettiest guns I ever laid eyes on. Who did the work?

come on Mikey, the suspense is killing 'them' ( I happen to KNOW who did this work, he used to work for the Connecticutt Gun Co. with my friend Tony Tuscano, another of their engravers....) that is one "fine job" and typical of the guys who do so many fine , high grade shotguns, and you turn them loose ,just for "s#*t's and giggles" on an everyday handgun............we hope he 'enjoys' his 'retirement'............... 8)

gunman42782

Hunter
Carl, maybe you should post this in the Gallery too, so more people can see it. A work of art like this should be seen by all!

G2

Hunter
Splitz, I took a little bum chew'n from you back when this showed up for sale.
GLAD to see you were not the Stalwart I was, But then again I would shoot it. :shock:

Nice to see it will be keep'n the Hawkeye Girls company.

A GOOD BUY this was,,, and boys them are real Ivory's too.

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
Maybe my eyes are messed up, but is that a two piece gripframe? The engraving is gorgeous either way, but I could swear that there's a line right about where a Colt style frame would come apart....

flatgate

Hawkeye
Jbrown75 said:
is that a two piece gripframe?

Yup, Ron Powers item. Also, the gun sports a collared base pin and a drilled through base pin latch. Nonetheless, it certainly is a wonderful example of an engraved Ruger!

flatgate

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Thanks for your positive comments and observations. I followed this revolver on GB over a period of months. First saw it just before it closed and the seller did not respond to my questions, so I missed it's closing. Watched for it and continued to try to understand why no bids from any quarter, even though my math for total costs always came up much higher than the opening price set by the seller. When it was finally relisted, I had made up my mind that I would be a bidder. Again, no other bidders, I was successful, and It now lives with the Hawkeye Girls.......The Seller is also the Esteemed Engraver, James DeMunck. He told me that this work was a labor of love and somewhat of a "recovery" after 12 plus years of intensive engraving work for Galazan at Conn. Gun Works ala Parkers and custom work on Winchester 21's amongst others(as noted by RugerGuy). I told Mr. DeMunck of my great joy at winning the gun and that it far surpassed my expectations. He was very gracious and sent me a group of additional photos which I have shared with Flatgate. The grip panels are custom ivory by the Engraver and the grip frame is indeed a custom fitted Ron Power two piece Colt, also done by the Engraver. I consider myself very fortunate to be this revolver's custodian. My Son, MJ, has already put his business card in the box where it rests. Lastly, while Mr DeMunck notes that originally, the revolver was basically an apparent shooter and probably dropped at some point, damaging it's original alloy grip frame, he also noted that it did have an extra barrel. That barrel in pristine condition, accompanied the revolver when it was shipped. Wonder of all wonders, it is a 10" 44 Flattop barrel. What a great prize!! I remain in awe of Mr DeMunck's works and his gracious courtesies to me.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Thanks, Dan. Wish you were here to hold it and really feel the shivers and goosebumps one experiences in the presence of this item of greatness........As far as the barrel goes, it probably remains here with the story. It is the only loose 10" 44 FT(or for the matter, any 10" barrel...) barrel I have come across in over 40 years of my wanderings.......What a way to find one! :wink:

Latest posts