Flatgate stags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crsides

Bearcat
I've had this old SS flatgate for about 20 yrs. Orig Box and some paperwork. All most mint, but not quite. It came with these stags ... I know they're not factory, but wondering if anyone would have a guess as to who made them. I only know they were on the gun when i got it. Serial # 20xxx. I talked to a couple guys at the Ruger Collectors booth Sunday and they got me fired up enough to take some pics.

rugerstags002.jpg

rugerstags007.jpg

rugerstags003.jpg

rugerstags006.jpg

rugerstags008.jpg

Charlie

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum Charlie!
I'm one of the guys who talked to you at the Convention. (I was the skinnier of the two old fat guys!)
As we noted,, they most likely were not Ajax,, and since you took them off, to check under them,, you see there isn't any markings.
Those stags look nice,, but it's a guess as to who made them. I'll bow out & let the folks with more of the "older" knowledge chime in.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Nice patina and pattern on those vintage grips...they look really good on the blued finish.

MD

oregon73

Blackhawk
Don't know who made them but that is a beautiful Single Six and those grips are OUTSTANDING!

Thanks for posting the pictures, and welcome to the forum. You got any more amazing Rugers stashed away? That's a heck of a first post, Charlie!

Rob

G2

Hunter
Nice flatgate, BUT them there grips are all bumpy and stuff like that, That O'l flatgate is wanting her original shoes back so as a welcome to the fourm, Send those to me and I will send you a original pair of grips, your choice; black hard rubber or wood . . . . strait across. . . . . Really :wink:

WOW not factory but GORGEOUS :shock:

crsides

Bearcat
Thanks guys for the positive comments. Have not had it out for awhile and it was good to see it again. Picked it up as is from a high end gun auction, it was the 3rd item sold and drew little interest :shock: :D :D :D

I do have a set of hard rubber grips for the purist.

Charlie

don3

Bearcat
The back looks the same as these. I bought these about 25 years ago for $35.00 from a company advertised in a magazine. I think they were called "SOUTHERN GUN EXCHANGE" but not 100%. I'll look in my files later.
DSC04480.jpg

americal

Hunter
Those stags are really nice 8) just be glad they were on the gun :) they really have some nice color --bark-& shaped very well & the gun is mighty fine.

those are awesome looking stags, and by the color and the escutcheons used, typical of the old ones from back in the 50's and 60's a few different makers and mostly we saw these on old Colt Single Action Armies, , and many have 'two' holes in each grip panel, yours do not ,so were made for the old model XR-3 Rugers........lots of bark on those older grips, running the fulll length, BOTH panels...later ones from Ajax and Eagle, were whiter in color, smoother, less bark......NICE gun, NICE grips

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
Thats an exceptional bookmatch, theyre really superb.

Brands that existed then: Pointer and Jay Scott / Fit Rite are the easy ones. Those don't have the look of Pointers. There were some other vendors that you can find by going through say a vintage back issue of Guns magazine. It's likely impossible to know without a makers mark.

Those are primo though. Fit Rite put out some nice pieces I am aware.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Beautiful grips. Flat instead of beveled at the butt seems to be a bit more scarce when researching those "vintage" aftermarket grips.

The abundance of "bark" would certainly add to the "bite" if mounted on a centerfire revolver :shock:

:D

flatgate