Finger Groove 1022

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TacoFrank

Bearcat
I have a widowed neighbor you wants me to buy her late husband's 1022. It's in great shape and I am going to buy it. I just want to be fair to her and myself.
What would be a fair price to offer her?
Thanks,
TacoFrank

wwb

Hunter
The optic... unless it's a top-shelf brand (Zeiss, Swaravski, maybe Leupold), it's basically a non-issue.... adds as little as $0 to the value to as much as $50. The rifle itself.... to a collector, it will be worth more than a run-of-the-mill 10/22. If you're a hunter and going to use it as such, it's a 10/22. Current value? Hard to say... used gun prices have gone crazy recently, and a lot depends on what region of the country.

hittman

Staff member
If you're talking about the old finger groove sporter stock with something like a 5 digit serial and no prefix …… in excellent condition I'd say at least $500.00. Likely more in todays market.

TacoFrank

Bearcat
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies. It has no optics. It's set up for a sling but doesn't have one. It has a Ruger 1022 box but not the right one. My guess the sporting Goods Store mixed them up? Has the little booklet and that's it. I would rate it excellent. It does have a tiny ding on the stock. Serial # 7xxxx.
Really a neat little carbine.
Hittman ,
The value is bittersweet. Glad it's has some value but just means I'll give her a lot more than I thought. Lol!
Neighbor & close family friend. She'll be treated fairly.
Thank for all your replies.
TacoFrank

37fed

Single-Sixer
If I was buying it I would give more for an optic as I would shoot it and need one. A collector I am sure not.

chet15

Hawkeye
TacoFrank said:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies. It has no optics. It's set up for a sling but doesn't have one. It has a Ruger 1022 box but not the right one. My guess the sporting Goods Store mixed them up? Has the little booklet and that's it. I would rate it excellent. It does have a tiny ding on the stock. Serial # 7xxxx.
Really a neat little carbine.
Hittman ,
The value is bittersweet. Glad it's has some value but just means I'll give her a lot more than I thought. Lol!
Neighbor & close family friend. She'll be treated fairly.
Thank for all your replies.
TacoFrank

Checkered or non-checkered?
Chet15

TacoFrank

Bearcat
Hi Chet,
not checkered. I told her that the general conscientious here that it's worth between $5-600. She insisted I take it for $400. A feel a little guilty I didn't argue with her very much. Anyway it's mine and I really happy with my new carbine.
Two carbines in a month! This and a Ruger PC Carbine in a month.
TacoFrank

hittman

Staff member
Good for you. Congrats on your newest collectible.

Don't be surprised if guys at your range claim that's a "custom" stock. Happened to me …… silly S&W guys just don't know. LOL

HAWKEYE#28 said:
Should be a $600 gun...........stock, condition, age(50+ yrs) BEST stock configuration ever........JMO of course

Agreed! :D

The strange thing is, while the checkered stocks are much rarer, I've never seen a Canadian Centennial finger groove that isn't checkered.
And yet, they struggle to get the money an uncheckered FG commands. Go figure...

TacoFrank said:
Hi Chet,
not checkered. I told her that the general conscientious here that it's worth between $5-600. She insisted I take it for $400. A feel a little guilty I didn't argue with her very much. Anyway it's mine and I really happy with my new carbine.
Congrats on the new 10/22! Always one of my favorites.

TacoFrank said:
…Two carbines in a month! This and a Ruger PC Carbine in a month.
TacoFrank
That all?? …
grin.gif
:wink:

RSIno1

Hunter
Watchman said:
Canadian Centennial ...., they struggle to get the money an uncheckered FG commands. Go figure...
Completed GunBroker sales
Finger groove $560 not checkered + $700 checkered
Canadian 2 listings $700 & $800 - both a no sale - changes are an odd serial number, engraving on receiver top and medallion in the stock. Does that fact that it's a "collectable" (with a perception that collectables aren't to be shot) lower the value or is the market too small - I'd think you'd need some strong tie to Canada to want one.

The medallion could be removed, and replaced with a custom medallion of your own design.
It really wouldn't be too hard to do from exotic wood, and would make for a very cool and unique personalized weapon.
I might try it... if I do I'll post pictures!

TacoFrank

Bearcat
Thanks RSIno1,
Great info! I plan on shooting it but will be careful not to beat it up. I really like this carbine and its pretty accurate for open sights. I have a cheap but decent scope I will put on to see what ammo it like best.
It came with two magazines and both function flawlessly. I've only put two boxes of shells through it. It's been to cold here to spend to much time out doors.
Taco Frank

TacoFrank

Bearcat
Hi Hawkeye#28,
Sorry I don't know what you mean by "Buffer'? Have a bad feeling you mean put something between the mount and the receiver. I did not. Hope I haven't messed up. It's there now (Damn) and I will remove the scope when I determine what ammo it likes best.
Hope I haven't screwed up.
Thanks for Your Reply,
TacoFrank

Latest posts