Ruger No. 1 tang length change?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Is anyone aware of a change in tang length for the Number One at some point?
I have a very nice XXX factory stock, unaltered, that comes up about 1/16"-1/8" short in the tang inletting when I try to put it on any of my other Number Ones.
This stock came on a rifle I bought some time back, but I neglected to note the serial number, etc. :oops: but it fit that rifle as it should. I've never had this problem in 40+ years of messing around with these rifles; very confusing and frustrating.

RSIno1

Hunter
Is XXX a serial number or wood quality? Early guns possibly had variations in tang length that required more hand inletting of stocks.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
The XXX refers to the wood figure. This is a post 1977 stock and given the finish, checkering quality, etc. I'd guess it was a lot later than that (1990s to early 2000s).

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
rowdy1972 said:
They did change the tang at some point, Cant recall just when. T he tang is longer on newer rifles.

OK thanks. That makes some sense, as I'm pretty sure I got this stock on an early uncatalogued 1B 222 (130-prefix). Not the best picture. :roll:
DvPOaqQl.jpg

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
rowdy1972 said:
That 222 is a rare one!!!!

I know. :) I was lucky stumble onto it. It had the wrong wood on it and 24X Tasco target scope.
I was able to find the correct wood and add it to my collection of 222s, (mostly Ruger single shots)