Ruger SR9 Had to have another one

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When the first SR9's came out I got one. They came with a knife, then many got recalled, so I sent mine in. I had one for quite a while and really liked it. For some reason I ended up letting it go. I've got a few 9mm's with the polymer frame, some full size and some compacts. Thinking back the ergonomics were as good or better than any I've had. They just fit my hand so well, and point so well, I'm inclined to consider them the best most dependable gun for personal protection I've had in a polymer frame gun. I have watched on here, on another forum and a local classifieds, but apparently but don't let them go lightly. I ended up going to gunbroker and got a couple of them. I'm excited I could find them. What's your take on them?
I've got to say, I wish Ruger would bring them back out. I think they've missed the mark when they quit making them. JMO

RUT

Single-Sixer
Back in September I bought my first SR9 in stainless. Came with original box and all the goodies, and was in excellent condition. After adding a Ghost 3.5# connector, Handleit grips, and a Dawson F.O. front sight, it's one of my best shooters. Then a few weeks ago I came upon an SR9C, also in stainless and in similar condition. I'll be adding the same goodies to it as well. I believe these guns are a bargain and under appreciated, and would have gotten the thumb up from Chesty Puller himself! :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I bought a 9e back in 2012, simply because I didn't like the pop up loaded chamber indicator. But yeah, both models are great, and I've never had a problem with the 9e. When I first got it I ran 4 full mags thru it as fast as a I could pull the trigger - it got pretty warm, but not a single hiccup. It's my winter carry gun in an OWB Diamond D holster. :)

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
SR9s are great guns that got overlooked by many because of its many safety features. I don't mind them and love how I feels and shoots.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I also purchased one of the early models with the knife, etc. Sent it back for the upgrade. Never have fired it. However, I happened across another NIB one at a steal of a price about a year and a half ago. Last one the store had & was a display model. Had Ruger check the striker because of it being the display item. They called and stated that they replaced any part that had been updated over the life of the SR9 series at no charge. Very happy with it!

Good decision Bear Paw Jack for you to pick up a replacement for the one that you sold.

Armybrat

Buckeye
rammerjammer said:
SR9s are great guns that got overlooked by many because of its many safety features. I don't mind them and love how I feels and shoots.

Agreed.
Bought my 1st one not long after the recall (no knife offered then) for $430 at a gun show. It had a stainless slide with the black finish. And the old style round mag eject button. Really nice gun that functioned flawlessly after I cleaned out the striker channel. Gifted it a couple of years later to my son who still owns it, and replaced it with a sweet SR45.
By 2019 my arthritis in the hands was getting worse, so gave that one to another son. Saw a closeout on new SR9 Pistols at CDNN for $300, so snapped one up. Then a month later another closeout at Sportsmans Warehouse for $250! It was a no-brainer to grab one of those too. If I had had a brain I would've bought a dozen at that theft price. :oops:

Anyway, gifted the $300 gun to my 2nd son who desired a 9mm to compliment the SR45 I had given him. Kept the $250 one for my nightstand gun.
Not long sfter that I bought a PCC 9mm carbine as a supplemental HD gun, and also five twin packs of the SR9 magazines

Armybrat

Buckeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
I wish you'd have bought all the $250 SR9's that they had. I need to get some more magazines as well.

Here are SR9 17 round twin packs for a decent price. (I have not dealt with that vendor before)

https://lockedloaded.com/product/ruger-90449-replacement-magazine-2-pack-sr9sr9c-9mm-17rd-black

57springer

Buckeye
I bought one right after they came out . Bought the black one, I really wanted the Olive Drab Green , never located one .But I agree with the op , one nice pistol !!

Armybrat said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
I wish you'd have bought all the $250 SR9's that they had. I need to get some more magazines as well.

Here are SR9 17 round twin packs for a decent price. (I have not dealt with that vendor before)

https://lockedloaded.com/product/ruger-90449-replacement-magazine-2-pack-sr9sr9c-9mm-17rd-black

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a couple of packages.

Suburbbus

Bearcat
I bought a black one new back in 2011 and sold it later to a friend. Was able to buy it back from him about a year ago in the same pristine condition it was in when I sold it to him.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
Just curious but what other brand firearms are compatible with the SR9/40 holsters? What holsters can sr users buy that could fit other brands if that makes sense? Let's say for example, would a S&W Shield holster be a good fit for the sr9?

I try to buy holsters specifically for the model I'm looking to carry. They tend to fit tighter. I'm pretty picky when it comes to holsters. I like one that rides close, but not too high. I like one that completely covers the trigger guard. My favorite style is the Askins Avenger.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
I was just curious. I've always done the same thing . I bought an IWB for my son's SR40C from lobogunleather and he is extremely pleased with it. They make great quality holsters at a good price with short delivery dates. CTD used to have a holster wizard on their website that would show which holsters were compatible but dropped it.