I'm surprised you have a round chambered

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
When I carry my 1911, it's "cocked and locked"... the thumb safety is in a natural position, quick and easy to flip to the "fire" position, Between that and the grip safety, I feel just fine carrying it like that. Not a fan of the striker-fired pistols... trigger pull has about 3 feet of take-up, and you need two strong friends to help pull it. That's what serves as their "safety". And if I'm not carrying the 1911, it's a 3" SP 101.

A Sig P226 in single action only is next on my list .... I want to try this next Dec. if I make it back to Front Sight. The one item I'm still working on in shooting is finger placement on the trigger. My P320 with a Grey guns flat trigger does seem like the perfect position... but then there is that long take up... I've got a flat trigger on my P226 legion but there is a further reach when the hammer is down. I'm thinking on a single action Sig with the hammer back there would be no take up on the trigger and it would be in the right position for my finger to be centered? What I'm looking for is a Sig P226 Legion Single Action only but in 357 Sig... but looking on Gun Broker and at the Sig web site it seems there is only 9mm offered in just about every handgun they make.

dweis

Blackhawk
I carry with a chambered round. Whe I was in the Corps we could not do that. We practiced feeding an empty chamber until we got fast at it. It can be done very quickly as part of drawing. Israeli military and police carry with an empty chamber. There are videos on YT showing the method they use. Impressive, but having been in combat with a M1911 I choose to have a round in the chamber. Most of us who has the M1911 as a primary weapon broke the rule in a hot zone.

I carry with a chambered round. Whe I was in the Corps we could not do that. We practiced feeding an empty chamber until we got fast at it. It can be done very quickly as part of drawing. Israeli military and police carry with an empty chamber. There are videos on YT showing the method they use. Impressive, but having been in combat with a M1911 I choose to have a round in the chamber. Most of us who has the M1911 as a primary weapon broke the rule in a hot zone.

Once had a newbie pilot tell us we couldn't have a round chambered in our weapons when we were on the helo. No one paid him one bit of attention. A couple of weeks later there he was climbing on board with a round chambered in his side arm. Funny how reality quickly modifies the "rules".

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
I worked at a farm consignment auction yesterday helping my auctioneer Cousin. After the sale, I was loading my purchases and talking with one of the main consigners and another man I didn't know. This man was eyeballing my G2S and asked to see it. I didn't know the guy but man I did know gave a an "OK" nod so I drew the pistol and cleared it before handing it over.
He gave it the typical once over and commented that he was "surprised that I carried it with a round chambered" as he handed it back. I replied that it wasn't big enough to use for a club and if I needed it, I didn't intend to waste time loading it. Then he says "Well at least you can keep the safety on". Nope, don't use the safety either, there's no way it can fire unless the trigger is pulled.
I don't think he believed me nor felt I was a very safe pistol packer as I walked away while re-chambering a round.
I NEVER LET ANYONE INSPECT MY EDC HANDGUN.....PERIOD!

Really good friend who goes to Front Sight with me came up to my wife an mine's 40th anneversary party three weeks ago and we were down in my office and I was showing him my laser pet... where you put a specific laser cartridge in and the target lets you know when you've hit it. Has several timed programs. He wanted to try it out and pulls his small Glock out of his pocket and drops the mag and checks the chamber which is empty. I noted this and said something and he explained he was more comfortable that way with pocket carry.... I did not argue the point. Everybody has to make a choice...... when you realize just about everybody out there makes the choice of not carrying.... Oh well.

Your right Blume, it's their choice. A short story. A co worker who was a long time cop carrying revolver went into a crime unit and was trained with and issued a Walther PPK/S .380 acp. That officer was in the unit a few months and at the next training it was learned would not carry that gun with a round in the chamber. To the officer that was unsafe. That officer was removed from the unit and went back to carrying a revolver in patrol with all six rounds in a gun without any safety. Sometimes you just cannot change a persons personal ideas.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I'm 77 and live alone out in the woods. LEO response time is around 30 minutes on avg. I don't keep my firearms locked up & every shooter I own from .22lr to 12 gauge is loaded w/one in the pipe and in different locations around the house, whether I'm carrying it or not. It's called "risk mitigation". My life, my choice. :)

Last edited:

jgt

Buckeye
I have read this mumbojumbo about fear of heights two or thee time in this thread. I have always had a fear of heights and never once had any urge to jump. I worked as a lineman for several years and my work required me to work from thirty to ninety feet in the air as a normal part of the job. later, I worked on projects that paid high wages because there was a free fall zone of over 90 feet below us. I also worked on swing arm cranes some. I never overcame my fear, but never jumped or had the urge to jump. Freud may have been wired that way but that doesn't mean the rest of us were.

GrandmasterB

Bearcat
Never understood that mindset either, but some folks just don't feel "safe" unless there are manual safeties or unloaded chambers. To each his own, I guess.

I'm 77 and live alone out in the woods. LEO response time is around 30 minutes on avg. I don't keep my firearms locked up & every shooter I own from .22lr to 12 gauge is loaded w/one in the pipe and in different locations around the house, whether I'm carrying it or not. It's called "risk mitigation". My life, my choice. :)
I'm almost 65 and live in the city (in a very safe neighborhood) but my home is the same GunnyGene.... Guns slightly out of sight all over the house loaded with one in the chamber.....

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I'm almost 65 and live in the city (in a very safe neighborhood) but my home is the same GunnyGene.... Guns slightly out of sight all over the house loaded with one in the chamber.....

If I had very young kids/grandkids living/visiting with me, or had neighbors within effective range of a stray shot, I'd likely do things differently. I have no problem with folks taking precautions based on their particular circumstances, everyone has their reasons which are peculiar to them. My only gripe is when dot gov, or Bertha/Bubba Better Than Me, insists I do things their way.

Which reminds me that I ought to step out back and get some practice in with my TS12. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Actually ... Back at post #48 , there is some legit reasoning to Not carry a Glock or similar striker fired with round in chamber LOOSE in a pocket .

Of course the best practice take away from that is to not carry Loose in a pocket with such . Either use a proper holster , or a suitable pocket holster that covers trigger gaurd . Or pocket carry a different gun .

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
My E.D.C. has been a Springfield 1911 Compact for many, many years now, in a belt slide. ("Cocked and locked, with one in the pipe")
My Son has just retired from Virginia Police, after 25 years service, and promptly stashed His duty weapon and got out his 1911 Colt, and started carrying it immediately again ! Both He & I are quite comfortable with that option! I have never felt "outgunned " in any way with the 1911 and 3 spare mags. I have no intention of engaging in a small war, or I do have many other choices at hand. That being said, if you'd place any of my personal collection of hand guns in my hand while in complete darkness, I know as soon as I touch it, exactly which one it is, and "can & will" take the proper action with it. If you can't do that, it's probably not advisable to be carrying that particular handgun at all !!
" Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, and more Practice !!! And, that does not mean just shooting paper, it means
"all aspects of the proper use of any pistol you intend to carry !!! "You are taking on an awesome responsibility !!!

( Work hard to be worthy of it !)