77/357 and optic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donut757

Blackhawk
The fiber optic sights on the gun do what they are supposed to do, my eyes and abilities not so much.

Gun is used for walking around/truck gun at the farm and take it with me when walking in the mountains. I am wanting to add a Vortex Crossfire red dot that I have sitting around doing nothing. Itll be a little faster, but easier for me to see. Im not interested in a traditional low powered scope since I have the red dot available.

I have debating using a Ruger 30mm ring and going Tube Style Vortex Strikefire, but don't want to shell out the extra money. I am thinking my easiest option will be one of the Ruger to Weaver Burris adapters and put the Crossfire on that.

It only needs one slot to secure the optic, but it wouldn't have much other rail to grab onto. Any opinions on if the one slot with limit contact on the rail would be sufficient?

Im not overall worried about the aesthetics, but just general function of the system. The tameness of the recoil has me thinking it could be ok???

Well, that should work. You didn't say what size dot the Crossfire has-2 MOA/4 MOA/ what? I have several rifles with a common dot optic mounted but find the 2-3 MOA dots are easier to shoot with than the bigger ones. One of my 9mm AR's has a 4MOA dot optic and that about perfectly matches the normal accuracy of the gun. The bullets hit on the dot out to 60-70 yards and that's generally good enough.
Your idea of mounting should work as long as it doesn't get too high causing you to lose 'cheek weld'.

donut757

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
Well, that should work. You didn't say what size dot the Crossfire has-2 MOA/4 MOA/ what? I have several rifles with a common dot optic mounted but find the 2-3 MOA dots are easier to shoot with than the bigger ones. One of my 9mm AR's has a 4MOA dot optic and that about perfectly matches the normal accuracy of the gun. The bullets hit on the dot out to 60-70 yards and that's generally good enough.
Your idea of mounting should work as long as it doesn't get too high causing you to lose 'cheek weld'.

It is a 2 MOA on that particular optic... The high mounting height has/is been somewhat of a concern, but if that is the case ill put a cheap cheek riser pad and call it a day. Long as the red dot is there, the bullet should follow.

Appreciate your input, I will keep digging to see if I can't find more info as well.

9x19

Hunter
Sounds like a good plan.

My own walking the woods .357 (Henry) has a reflex type red-dot from Bushnell, and I have been very happy with that setup.

From what I remember when I had a 77/357. the Burris adapters should be long enough for decent stability.

My setup:
17SU3cH.jpg