coyote trapping

This Area is for Discussions on Handgun, Shotgun, or Rifle hunting stories, tips, and whatever else applies.

Moderator: Moderators

Mobuck
Hawkeye

coyote trapping

Post by Mobuck »

Grandson discovered a new set--the "haypile set". It seems to be working as he has caught 2 and had one pull out in 3 days. That's as many as he's caught using scent hole sets for a month.
Really easy to set on frozen ground like we've had the past few days. Can be re-set right on the same spot after a catch if the ground is froze.
FWIW, the yoties are getting paired up early this year.
Mobuck
Bear Paw Jack
Hawkeye

Re: coyote trapping

Post by Bear Paw Jack »

Good for him. Would be nice to keep the numbers half way stable, but it takes more hunters and more trappers. It's a vanishing art when it comes to trapping. Maybe that should be a high school elective class.
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member
“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

Kudos to him!

I haven't tried a "haypile" set. Can you describe it in detail? I might have a need in the future for that type of set.
Shoot straight and safe!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
US Army Huey crewchief 1976-1979
Friends of the NRA committee & chairman
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

I hear coyotes at night every once in a while, but never see them. They are not a nuisance around here, so I would not shoot them if presented the opportunity.
Jeepnik
Hawkeye

Post by Jeepnik »

A.J. wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 pm I hear coyotes at night every once in a while, but never see them. They are not a nuisance around here, so I would not shoot them if presented the opportunity.
They aren't a nuisance there yet. Just wait until their population density increases. With really no natural enemies and a fairly robust birth rate and low mortality rate for the offspring it won't be long before they do become a nuisance.
Jeepnik "AKA Old Eyes"
"Every man should have at least one good rifle, and know how to use it." Dad
"Go low, go slow, and preferably in the dark." The old Sarge (he was like 25)
The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan
Mobuck
Hawkeye

Post by Mobuck »

This is basically an above ground set. He uses 'drive rod' trap anchors so no above ground trap stakes. Set and bed two traps just at ground level (not too deep) approx 24-30" apart but don't cover. He does use a bit of sheep wool under the trap pan but not sure that's necessary. Spread the grass type hay in a circle 4' in diameter thicker in the middle(maybe 2 inches thick) and lighter toward the perimeter being careful to just barely cover the traps. Squirt some yote pee, female estrus scent, or similar in the center and you're done.
Grandson used some hay I'd had in the barn for the dogs to lay on so it smelled really 'doggy'. Our hay was cut at about 3-4' tall and rolled up with a big round baler leaving the stems full length and easy to fluff and spread vs being run through a square baler which would cut the stems @16-18" and much more difficult to spread thin and evenly. If this type hay isn't available, I'd say you could cut most any knee to waist high grass still standing and use that but it needs to be dry-not wet and clumpy.
The last coyote was caught well up on the main pad of each hind foot in both traps--no pulling out on that deal.
Mobuck
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

So basically, a flat set,,using the hay as a visual, and smell attractant. The hay can hold scent,, (pee etc,) while also having a natural critter smell,, such as mice etc.
Trap placement,, towards the center,, or towards the middle,, or the perimeter of the hay circle? It appears the middle area with a leaning towards the center would be best.

Any "backing" placed anywhere?
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Mobuck
Hawkeye

Post by Mobuck »

On a 4' circle of hay he placed the traps 24-30" apart or 12-15" from the center. The layer of hay is much thinner toward the edges so the traps are just barely covered. No backing at all. The thicker layer of hay in the center (4"+/-) gives the set a 'focal point'.
I think this works better set on snow giving it more 'visual'.
Mobuck
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

Excellent. I have a place on my property I may try this set,, before I try & use it on a customers place.
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
Mobuck
Hawkeye

Post by Mobuck »

Had another big dog coyote caught by a hind foot in each trap this morning. That's 2 in that set in 5 days. Not going to re-set until after the snowfall and will re-locate then.
As some may know, coyote fur isn't worth the time it takes to skin BUT we've found a market for skulls through a local taxidermist--better than nothing.
Mobuck
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

Our local yotes stink so much,, that the market for the hides is almost nada. Especially in my area where the fur isn't thick enough for much. (Zone 3 fur trading,) As for skulls,, I may have to ask my local taxidermist. I recently disposed of a pair of yotes,, w/o bothering to even consider skinning any part of them.
Shoot straight and safe!

right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
Scuba Instructor
powder smoke
Hawkeye

Post by powder smoke »

Cyotes pelts up here in Maine are Prime this time of years! Thick!
Haven't heard anything about the stench! YMMV. Snow and cold must keep the pelts prime.
Snow is Touchole deep to a ten ft Indian some would say! Definitely need snow shoes.
Cyotes unlike people can run on the top after the snow settles some. ps
A gun is like a parachute.
If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

Buy American Give Your Neighbor A Job!
A.J.
Blackhawk

Post by A.J. »

Jeepnik wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 pm
A.J. wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 pm I hear coyotes at night every once in a while, but never see them. They are not a nuisance around here, so I would not shoot them if presented the opportunity.
They aren't a nuisance there yet. Just wait until their population density increases. With really no natural enemies and a fairly robust birth rate and low mortality rate for the offspring it won't be long before they do become a nuisance.
Thanks for the "heads up". There's still no coyote problem here in Northwest Michigan. Never caught one on a trail camera. Never seen one. Rarely hear them.

Until they become a problem, I plan to just let them be.