Reloading vs. buying factory ammo

This Section is Dedicated to Discussion of Factory Ammuntion and Reloading Issues.

Moderator: Moderators

gramps
Hawkeye

Re: Reloading vs. buying factory ammo

Post by gramps »

I started reloading to “save money”. I reload maybe twice a year. Mostly .44 spcl or .44 mag. I have the capability to load .357 mag, but haven’t shot any in years. I rarely shoot my 9 mm due to cost. Inability to maintain any brass since they get flung into the blackberry patch. I have tried to reload .223, but crush the shoulders! A friends stepfather died leaving behind guns, ammo, powder, primers etc. I paid a proper price, and now I have a lifetime supply. Good luck!
gramps
NRA Patron Member
Tn firearms association: http://www.tfaonline.org
Mobuck
Hawkeye

Post by Mobuck »

gramps,
9mm brass is showing up at relatively low prices. It's not as cheap as it was 10-15 years ago but right now, it's the cheapest component of the reload.
Range brass requires a bit more attention than known source brass but for 'just shootin' ammo, it works well enough. I had to sort through probably 3-4K cases to find 500 Federals I needed to load the long shanked 147 HST bullets.
Mobuck
45acpskng
Newly Registered

Post by 45acpskng »

Unless you're reloading larger calibers, 45, 44, or magnum anything, savings aren't substantial anymore, as the cost of supplies and the scumbags gouging, are making reloading less practical these days.
Paul B
Hunter

Post by Paul B »

Someone complained about getting tired or working the "one armed bandit." :lol: My first loading tool was a Lyman nutcracker, the 310 tool. Took a while loading up say 100 rounds of 30-30 ammo for range practice. You didd each step one at a time. First deprime, then neck size, the 310 could only neck size brass, then expand and bell the neck, prime the case, weigh the powder charge using a dipper and finally seat the bullet. That's 500 times you squeezed that tool to load that 100 rounds of ammo. Believe me, I saved every penny I could get my hands on so I could buy that "one armed bandit" to speed up the process and keep my hands relatively cramp free. Took a bit of time too.

That didn't cover casting the bullets, lube and sizing them plus add the gas check. That was back in 1954. These days I have three presses plus a Dillon 500B, over 90 molds to cast various bullets and still love to load my own ammo for whatever purpose.

The only time I buy a box of factory ammo is when I buy a new rifle regardless is I already have one in that particular cartridge. Usually it's two boxes for test firing and case head and pressure ring measurements. After that it's my handloads only. :mrgreen: Frankly, I cannot remember that last time I used a factory round to kill a game animal or varmint.
Paul B.
chuck
Buckeye

Post by chuck »

Stocked up years ago started when the Clintons were in charge of us. I'm 84 and have enough supply's so the Mrs. can bury me with some, some of the gun shows that I used to go to about 3 years ago were selling STUFF reasonable. I reload everything I own but 22 long rifle and have 5 bricks of Winchester XX