Well, I opened deer season

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A.J.

Single-Sixer
contender said:
" I think neighbors on either side of me got the big doe and 8 point buck I was watching."

Don't be so sure. They may surprise you!

I'm not giving up. Late antlerless deer season runs from 13 December to 1 January. I'll be there. I will only take a "good" shot. Easy, quick, humane kill.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos!

It used to be killing does was frowned upon by old timers & such,, but due to good education & game management,, it's accepted more often today. And as we say around here,, "Meat is meat,, and ya can't eat horns!"

contender said:
Kudos!

It used to be killing does was frowned upon by old timers & such,, but due to good education & game management,, it's accepted more often today. And as we say around here,, "Meat is meat,, and ya can't eat horns!"

The farmer we lease from requested we shoot some does this year. He was late getting his corn harvested and the deer took full advantage of the opportunity.

GA furnishes ten, yes 10, doe tags per license. They manage how they tags are used by number of "doe days" in each county. Some counties in the mountains have only 2-3 doe days on private land. The county I hunt in allows doe harvest every day of the season. :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
I hear you.
We have a similar method of harvesting does in NC. We get a total of (6) deer tags. (2) are "antlered", (2) are "anterless," and (2) are "hunters choice. Then,, depending on the part of the state you are in,, (zone) determines when you can use certain tags. Some places,, does are only allowed to be taken on ONE day of a 3 week season with a firearm. Other areas,, 2 weeks of doe days in a 6 week firearm season, and other places,, all season and a longer firearm season.
Throw in archery & muzzleloading allowances & seasons,, it can be confusing.
But,, once you study a bit,, stay in whatever county you need to to harvest which type you are allowed,, no problems.

So far,, one antlered & one doe for me this year.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I hear you.
We have a similar method of harvesting does in NC. We get a total of (6) deer tags. (2) are "antlered", (2) are "anterless," and (2) are "hunters choice. Then,, depending on the part of the state you are in,, (zone) determines when you can use certain tags. Some places,, does are only allowed to be taken on ONE day of a 3 week season with a firearm. Other areas,, 2 weeks of doe days in a 6 week firearm season, and other places,, all season and a longer firearm season.
Throw in archery & muzzleloading allowances & seasons,, it can be confusing.
But,, once you study a bit,, stay in whatever county you need to to harvest which type you are allowed,, no problems.

So far,, one antlered & one doe for me this year.

Congratulations on your deer harvest so far.

I'm waiting for Michigan's "late firearms" deer season, 13 Dec to 1 Jan. This is the last deer season and allows you to take only antler less on private property. Adjacent property owners text one another about their hunting plans. That way we can stay out of each others' way. Same goes for some public land on my South property line. I know a guy who hunts it and told him to let me know so I can steer clear.