22 Mag UN-fluted cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Hoping you Single Six guru's can help me out.

I've bought a 22 Mag blued cylinder. No flutes and roll-marked 22 Magnum. Came in the little cardboard box in pretty good shape and an excellent red felt bag. Box is marked 22 Magnum. 865 is etched on the face. No "ring" and no lead residue to indicate its been fired.

So tell me please …..

1. All NON fluted cylinders were on New Models?
2. The box could be original even to a New Model?

Thanks.

yessir, as Cholo noted above, and the new Models that came in the red..white one piece fold up boxes we had the cylinder was in a white cardboard box, the red bag inside with the gold cord rolled around the bags open end, tucked in...I saw some shops had written the 3 digit number on the outside of the box to prevent any mix up if they had a number of guns in their showcase...........

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, at least 220,000 of the earliest NM Super Single-Sixes (up to 64-20000 or so) had firing pin grooves on the rear of the cylinder and Mag. cylinders that were fluted. That style continued to about 64-70000 for Stainless.
So they aren't really Old Model vs. NM... It was only a line change 3 years into NM production because there isn't any way Ruger would have had 220,000 plus Old Model cylinders on hand when they went to the New Model in 1973.
Chet15

Hondo44

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Yes, at least 220,000 of the earliest NM Super Single-Sixes (up to 64-20000 or so) had firing pin grooves on the rear of the cylinder and Mag. cylinders that were fluted. That style continued to about 64-70000 for Stainless.
So they aren't really Old Model vs. NM... It was only a line change 3 years into NM production because there isn't any way Ruger would have had 220,000 plus Old Model cylinders on hand when they went to the New Model in 1973.
Chet15

True, nor would they have ANY old model stainless cyls.

Latest posts