Outfitter's rifle 'recommendations'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm looking for a new place to do my annual elk hunt and trying to make educated assessments of the unknown operations. In reading the outfitter's recommendations/requirements for rifle/cartridge, I see he doesn't seem to find my proven choices acceptable. I can understand that he sees a fair number of hunters with varying capabilities and bases his comments on those observations which is fair. I also understand that an outfitter wants to see his hunters put the animals on the ground w/o a lot of follow-up or wasted time on a long and/or fruitless trailing job.
Hopefully, if/when he returns my calls, we can discuss this. I'm limited in the recoil I can handle which is why I've been using the 25/06. It's no big deal to switch to 7mm08/6.5CR/.308 but these shorten my 'hold on brown' range by 20-25%.
Am I making too much of this?????????

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I think you are making too much of it. The first thing that comes to my mind is get 25% closer. What calibers and distances is this outfitter suggesting ? Do you have calibers that fit in his desired range, if so can any of them be fitted with a muzzle break ? You need to register at HuntTalk.com and post this question in the Elk hunting thread. Also maybe read thru the posts in Firearms for some information. Where in New Mexico are you looking into this time ? 10 years ago or so my son had a landowner tag for the area that you hunted given to him by a friend married to the family that have a ranch there, he did not see a thing in the time he was there. Sometimes the Elk do come down out the higher elevations. Good luck, Jerry

wwb

Hunter
Unless he has disapproved of your caliber choice (and I'm guessing he would find a .25-06 to be just fine), he's probably only "recommending" certain calibers because he has previously had clients show up with totally inappropriate rifles.

Both good responses and appreciate your input.
I already have rifles in 6.5Cr, 7mm08, and .308 with proper ammo on hand for the 7mm08 and .308 so it's not a deal breaker either way. Maybe I'm just wound a little too tight with all the stuff I have going on right now.

contender

Ruger Guru
PERSONALLY,, if I'm paying an outfitter,, AND having previous experience in killing a few elk,, if he won't accept my firearm,, then I'll hunt for a different outfitter. My money,, my methods.
If you think they think your rifle caliber is wrong,, just imagine when you ask the question; "Do you allow handgunners?"

Two years ago,, when we went to Colorado,, with a group of guys,, of which I only previously knew one guy quite well, and another guy a little,, and I pulled out just a handgun,, the guys asked me; "Where's your rifle?" To which I replied; "I don't cheat,,!" They were taken aback at the fact I didn't even bring a rifle with me.

Long time ago I saw a letter in a gun rag in which a hunter claimed the 300 Win Mag was a 500-yard elk gun. He also claimed the 308 was to puny for elk. A gun writer compared them. Using the same bullet, the 308's muzzle velocity was same as the 300 winnie was at 100 yards. So, that would put the 308 as a 400-yard elk gun if the 300 was a 500-yard gun.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have a question, of your rifles which do have the most confidence in as far as capability of putting down a 1,000 lb animal at a prescribed distance ? That is the one I would go with. The ones that you listed are all good Elk cartridges, BUT, you just don't seem like a 6.5 kinda guy. Again, my earlier question : where are you looking now ?

I'm looking at a place near Raton. We were actually only 25-30 miles from this place on our mis-directed route from Mora to Springer.
Confidence wise: I have 100% confidence in the 25/06 using Nosler factory 'E-Tip' ammo for open country hunting. It has killed every elk hit(I missed once in 2018 trying to back up another hunter who made a poor hit) which is as good as any other cartridge I've used (7mm Rem mag and 300 Win mag).
The 6.5/7mm08/308 are OK but you need to carry a rangefinder(and have time to use it) if shots exceed 300 yards.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Well you made your choice, 25-06 it is. I had 2 of them back in the day. Black Lake-Ocate area up towards the Maxwell Grant and north as far as you can go is what I always thought was some prime Elk habitat. Good luck, Jerry

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
I'll bet if you explain your abilities and experience with the 25-06 the outfitter won't have any problems. I told him I'm bringing my 25-06 for Mule Deer in 2023 and he had no issues with it. I expect to do more walking on that hunt and my 25-05 single shot is light weight and handy.

There was some pretty sorry shooting from a couple other guys when I was at the ranch. Each taking 4-5 shots to close the deal on a cow elk and Mule Deer. I pay too much for my hunts not to practice a lot before I leave home.

FYI - the guides at the V7 all carry and use rangefinder and a tripod system for a rest.

Latest posts