Need some help with a strange barrel issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

aslap

Bearcat
I've never seen anything like this. I posted originally on a another forum I haunt and the general feeling there was that this was machining swarf that was left over in the bore before it was hammer forged. The hammer forging then pounded the residue into the bore. This is a 6 CR American Predator rifle that I bought use about a week ago. The rest of the rifle looks good with very little wear on the ejector or extractor. I sent the pix off to Ruger right before Thanksgiving to get their opinion. Ill probably hear from them this week sometime. I have not shot the rifle since I purchased it.

Any thoughts? After hearing the machining residue possibility, that's what it looks like to me. This sort of squiggly looking stuff is peppered all through the barrel.

Tony
AbvrQYh.jpg

wwb

Hunter
aslap said:
...... the general feeling there was that this was machining swarf that was left over in the bore before it was hammer forged......

That would be my guess.

aslap

Bearcat
Thanks for the responses. I'd be doing a lot of cutting since the stuff is all through the barrel. Once I saw that stuff, I understood why the gun was traded in! I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't a half MOA rifle.

Hopefully Ruger will help me out. It looks to be a fairly easy task to swap the barrel out with a go gauge and a tool to spin the nut.

Tony

Before seeing the photo, My thought was some nut ran a bad cleaning rod thru it. After seeing the photo it's clearly not that.
Hopefully Ruger will replace that barrel with a good one.

aslap

Bearcat
Got the shipping label today and the rifle is heading back for, I'd assume, a new barrel! Pretty fast work on Rutger's part.

Tony

About 6 years ago I purchased a new FTW hawkeye, Like normal I pulled it apart and found the stock cracked at a mounting screw. I think it was 3 weeks later It came back with a new stock.
I believe they shut down for a few weeks end of Dec and yours could take longer. I was told by them when ordering parts in mid Dec. they were shutting down for 2 weeks several years ago.

aslap

Bearcat
I should have the rifle back in hand tomorrow! Truly outstanding service. I'll post once I check it out but I'd assume that it will be wearing a new barrel.

Tony

aslap

Bearcat
Rifle in hand with a brand new barrel! Major kudos to Ruger for what is an exemplary instance of customer service! I'll be writing or calling to thank them. Considering I bought this rifle used, and told them that, to have the new barrel put on and back in my hands in ten days is, in this day and age, a miracle.

Tony

hittman

Staff member
Ruger is well known and highly regarded for that type of service.

Congrats to you.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
hittman said:
Ruger is well known and highly regarded for that type of service.

Congrats to you.

Unfortunately on the newer guns we get to experience that level of service a bit too often. I love my Rugers. But of the last 9 I bought 6 of them were returned for repair 3 had to be outright replaced. Glad the OP got taken care, but that barrel should of never made it on a gun.