New Mini-14 first time out!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cjcutter1

Bearcat
Recently picked up a new blued/wood stocked Mini 584 series. Took outback today first time out fired 136 rounds in PMC 55gr fmjbt through it. Factory 5,20 & 30 round magazines only approximately round 38 while using a 20 round magazine a fte spent casing on top of live round bolt open cleared the spent casing and flawless function otherwise. Peep sight aperture needed snugged up when cleaning gun up also on side adjustment screw was loose.

cjcutter1

Bearcat
Jeepnik said:
Wait, you mean someone still makes long guns of blued steel and wood. You'd never guess it by what's advertised these days.
Last few long guns I've bought all have wood/blued setup! Should I be concerned about the one fte outta 136? Ruger said most likely a hiccup ammo related.

K1500

Single-Sixer
You should be concerned, but not overly. If it keeps doing it I would send it back to Ruger. If it only did it once or twice during break in with only one type of ammo, no worries. If you do have repeated problems and have to send it in, they will take care of you.

cjcutter1

Bearcat
Appreciate the feedback. Took outback for a second time ran 24 rounds through 6 mags 2 rounds in each mag twice had a failure to feed midway through on 30rnd magazine same PMC ammo. Called Ruger told them said send it in so away it goes.

K1500

Single-Sixer
They do a good job. I've had to send several things back and they have always taken care of the problem for no charge. It stinks to send something back but better safe than sorry. Probably a bad extractor, but they has the resources to throw parts at it.

mac66

Single-Sixer
cjcutter1 said:
Should I be concerned about the one fte outta 136 rounds? Thanks, Ruger said most likely hiccup ammo related.

Nothing is 100%, 100% of the time.

jjas

Single-Sixer
I likely would have tried a couple of different brands of ammo just to see if it was that.

But in the end, I'm sure Ruger will take care of you.

cjcutter1

Bearcat
Mini was gone totally of twelve days door to door. Ruger replaced the ejector and adjusted the bolt and charging handle. Function safety tested and cleaned as well as fired 40 rounds of American Eagle 223 55gr and 20 rounds of ICC 45gr green tip elite. Hopefully this does the trick.

I guess what you need to do is load the same PMC ammo in that 30 round magazine and see what happens... I'm willing to bet $5 it will do the same thing.

now, I could be wrong... I was once before... but it was a long time ago.

the real question is did the folks at Ruger shoot the rifle and have the same problem before they did the work on it?

cjcutter1

Bearcat
blume357 said:
I guess what you need to do is load the same PMC ammo in that 30 round magazine and see what happens... I'm willing to bet $5 it will do the same thing.

now, I could be wrong... I was once before... but it was a long time ago.

the real question is did the folks at Ruger shoot the rifle and have the same problem before they did the work on it?
Please elaborate are you hinting at the ammo is the culprit? The gun? Or they just replaced and adjusted a few parts without first test firing? I'm genuinely curious as you're thoughts.

cjcutter1 said:
Please elaborate are you hinting at the ammo is the culprit? The gun? Or they just replaced and adjusted a few parts without first test firing? I'm genuinely curious as you're thoughts.

Okay, I'll share an opinion. :mrgreen:

3 unidentified failures out of 150+ rounds? I don't expect Ruger would shoot any where near that quantity trying to duplicate the failures. So, I would greatly expect they'd replace some possible items, return the gun to you, and hope for the best.

If it was mine, and I had 3-hiccups with a new gun, I'd keep trying, and see if I could isolate the symptoms. And that's not to say you should do what I do. But I don't think Ruger could have sorted out the problem unless there was a really obvious problem with the part(s) they replaced or (adjusted?).

Although it could have been an ammo related problem, I would not suggest it is that just because of the PMC brand. If it was a batch of out of spec ammo, then yes. Otherwise, as overgassed as a Mini 14 is, they'll generally function with anything, hot to mild.

I've returned some guns to Ruger over the years, and in most cases they've sent a list of corrective actions and parts replaced. And in most cases, they've replaced parts that were not necessarily part of the problem.

They just start somewhere, and hope they correct the problem.

I certainly hope what they did took care of it, but again, they likely were also shooting in the dark. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted. If you continue to encounter the problem, don't spend a ton on large quantities of ammo, but do try a different brand, lot, whatever. Now, the ball would be in their court.

I do love my Mini's.

cjcutter1

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
cjcutter1 said:

Okay, I'll share an opinion. :mrgreen:

3 unidentified failures out of 150+ rounds? I don't expect Ruger would shoot any where near that quantity trying to duplicate the failures. So, I would greatly expect they'd replace some possible items, return the gun to you, and hope for the best.

If it was mine, and I had 3-hiccups with a new gun, I'd keep trying, and see if I could isolate the symptoms. And that's not to say you should do what I do. But I don't think Ruger could have sorted out the problem unless there was a really obvious problem with the part(s) they replaced or (adjusted?).

Although it could have been an ammo related problem, I would not suggest it is that just because of the PMC brand. If it was a batch of out of spec ammo, then yes. Otherwise, as overgassed as a Mini 14 is, they'll generally function with anything, hot to mild.

I've returned some guns to Ruger over the years, and in most cases they've sent a list of corrective actions and parts replaced. And in most cases, they've replaced parts that were not necessarily part of the problem.

They just start somewhere, and hope they correct the problem.

I certainly hope what they did took care of it, but again, they likely were also shooting in the dark. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted. If you continue to encounter the problem, don't spend a ton on large quantities of ammo, but do try a different brand, lot, whatever. Now, the ball would be in their court.

I do love my Mini's.
Thank you I appreciate the feedback. It was two hiccups out of 160 rounds total of PMC one failure to extract spend round the second a failure to feed strip round from magazine both with bolt open two different factory magazines a 20 &30 rnd.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Keep us posted.
Would like to hear how it does after shooting about 200 rounds.
Personally I have only had one hiccup with the several Mini's I have had over the years.
And it was a John Mason mag., which John Mason replaced right away.

40nascar

Banned
Yes, mini 14's need at least 200 rnds of break-in. Any malfunctions before 200 rnds, I would just attribute to the break in process. Might be best to use 5.56 during break in. Good luck.

This is a reason to mark your mags. How you do is up to you. When running more then a mag through a gun testing it. Test full mags and partly loaded. Any that have problems get a do over. It could be a mag, ammo or gun. Might as well eliminate mags as a problem. That's the easy one. Helps to use several different ammo brands or handloads one at a time. I mark mine with numbers written with a marker.

cjcutter1

Bearcat
Appreciate the feedback was able to run 25rnds of Norma Frangible 223 51gr through three different factory mags two twenty and one five round mags. No issues and was hitting steel from various distances so far so good!

Latest posts