3 months from today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We head out for New Mexico. I can only hope the fall weather cooperates and we're finished with harvest on a normal schedule. Five years ago, we were still cutting soybeans in mid-November.
I'm taking another 'elk virgin' this year. He's not seen a wild elk in his life--same scenario as my Cousin in 2018. I think it's fun just watching the new guys on their first elk. This year's hunt is almost a month earlier than the past hunts so there may be some bugling still going on. I do have an ulterior motive--it's nice to have these younger guys in the group so I don't have to drive and they can afford to have newer pickups than mine.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Good luck! We're just over two months out from our New Mexico cow elk hunt near Raton. I'll be the bartender, Sherpa, photographer, and step-n-fetch. It'll be my father, my son, and my best buddy doing the trigger pulling.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
I-40 to I-24 to I-57 to I-64 to I-70. We're making a detour for a few days in Loveland, CO for some fly-fishing and altitude acclimation. Then we'll head down I-25. Looks like we'll take a more southerly route home...

That's a decent route. You might look at jumping the river west of Paducah and take I55 into St Louis. Last time I was that way, it was good. I 70 had some rough spots across MO but I haven't been that way for a while.
For the return, I 40 was good all the way to Oklahoma City last time I was there. Lots of windmills and cotton fields. Don't know how it is east from OKC.
I don't like to drive interstates mostly cause I can't keep up with the normal traffic and I like to 'farm' as I travel. When we went to Chama, NM last year we stopped to take pics of antique machinery, to check out a sprayer(bought that one), and just look at interesting stuff making the trip take 1/2 day longer than the Google map estimate.
This year's route hasn't been picked yet. I need to set up a group meeting soon to work out details of our trip. The new guy hasn't got his account set up with NM Fish & Game yet so need to work that out.

We drove 100 miles to visit with relatives yesterday. He's my old time hunting buddy and has a mule deer hunt booked with the somewhat questionable operation where I went in 2020. I took my iPAD and showed him how things laid out and where we hunted, and where the touristy picture spots were on the drive out. Gave him some advice on precautions to take when dealing with the guides/outfitter/meat processor and caught him up on how things actually played out last year. Hope it goes better for him.
He would have invited me to ride along as an observer this year except mid-September is a really busy time for us and I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go back there anyway. He's much more of a trophy hunter than I and prefers a muzzle loader so our choices of hunts are much different these days.

Getting closer. We leave in 60 days. Have a meeting set up for next Monday to hash out the details and get the other guys' licenses bought. Not sure how much of the West our new member has seen or wants to see along the way. He's a farmer too so lots of interesting stuff to check out.

I hosted our first pre-hunt get together yesterday morning. My Cousin and the new member had not met so there was some of the usual familiarization small talk while I got their online license purchases organized. Then a discussion of route options, time frame, travel stops, and other minor details. I confirmed my suspicion that new guy is in the '75 MPH and up' driving group and doesn't seem to have much fear of hitting deer on the road so the g00gle driving time of 14 hours may be beaten. I plan to strap myself snugly in the back seat and take a pillow. I'll let the new guy (pickup owner) and the professional OTR truck driver handle the front seat operations.
Since this is new guy's first rifle elk hunt(he's been on 1 unsuccessful archery elk hunt), he had lots of questions about the shooting aspect. I dunno, he claims to be a real whizbang shot but since I've not really seen him shoot, it's hard to say. I can safely bet Cousin hasn't fired a rifle since he shot last year's elk but that's not my problem, either.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Headed west in 3 weeks...and I can hardly wait. We'll spend a couple days in Colorado, hopefully fly fishing with my father, then head down near Raton, New Mexico for the elk. I promise a bunch of pics and will try and string together a trip report.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you get the time, drive from Raton to Cimmarron, (about 30 miles,) and visit the St. James Hotel. It's WELL worth the side trip. Read up on the history before you go, and you'll see why I say this.

Hope things go well with you Matt.
I think my old hunting buddy is heading out to Chama about the same time as you're headed for Raton.
The other guys got their licenses on the way during our meeting Monday and I already have my license in hand.
I'm not changing any major equipment this year(last year I did some big changes on both my primary and backup rifle) so hoping this year will be mostly sorting/choosing clothing and not forgetting my prescriptions like I did last year.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
contender said:
If you get the time, drive from Raton to Cimmarron, (about 30 miles,) and visit the St. James Hotel. It's WELL worth the side trip. Read up on the history before you go, and you'll see why I say this.

Thanks Ty. We plan to fly fish the Cimarron River if the guys get their elk early enough...or we need to wait a day or two for meat to be cut up and frozen. My father is a huge history buff. He'd love to have lunch there.

Mobuck - Hope this year's hunt is smoother than last year's. Vacations shouldn't be adding stress...

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Loaded up some 180gr Speer Grand Slams for my buddy's .308 Win for the hunt. Should be stepping out at just below 2600 fps. Ought to do the job. I'm bringing my .338 Winnie with some Barnes TSX as a back-up should anyone's rifle go down.

What kind of country are you expecting to hunt? Our first 2 trips to the ranch west of Albuquerque involved mostly open ground with arroyos and bluffs here and there. According to the outfitter, we should expect shots as long as shooter skill could reach. The third trip, our guide was toting a 300 Ultramag with range sensing/compensating scope and expected we might shoot 500+ yards. I told him flat out I wasn't shooting that rifle nor was I shooting 500 yards--it was his job to get us closer. That hunt took place in high sage making distances misleading and shot placement difficult.
No idea what we'll find this year but outfitter said we'll be hunting hay fields and trails to/from those fields so likely 200-300 yards across open ground.
I'm sticking with the 25/06 that I've used previously and expecting to get a mostly broadside shot under 350 yards. Cousin is taking a .270 Win again this year since he bought 4 boxes of ammo for it last year. New guy is taking a 308 w/Burris Eliminator which he claims is capable of hitting a paper plate @400 yards 100%.
I'd like to take my suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor but it's simply too unwieldy for this type of hunt(and I don't want to do the paperwork to take it out of state). The 6.5Cr is about neck and neck with the 25/06 energy wise but falls behind on flat trajectory. This was proven last year while shooting does for the freezer. I held as I would with the 25/06 on a long range shot and the 6.5 went under the brisket. The suppressor allowed me another chance and with a hold 3-4" higher, I hit where I wanted.
We are now 48 days from 'load and go'. I haven't had time to get excited yet. Once harvest is complete, I can begin to get things organized.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Country sounds a bit tamer where we'll be. Shots around 200 yds give or take. I'm not a hunter on this trip, but would use my 338 if I was. I too love my 25-06. She's a real sweet-heart and I enjoy hunting whitetails with her.

Earlier today I got a text and pic of the 4x3 muley buck my friend got with his muzzleloader. Darned nice buck that looks to be wider than the ears and really tall. Counter to his usual 'hold out for the best', he said this one was better than average but not nearly as big as one they saw beyond ML range.
There seems to be a persistent issue with the meat processor/taxidermist in Chama as far as getting meat legal to bring home. Friend is having problems same as we did last year.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Mobuck - That's a real shame. You'd think in a business that relies upon out-of-state hunters, they'd learn the CWD rules and do the right thing.

Latest posts