So Sue Me, I Like The Wrangler Better

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have had a Single Ten and several Single Six revolvers over the years and loved them all. Have one in the house now, though it belongs to my son, and there is not much that I enjoy more than shooting a .22 single action. But I felt like having another one so I did some online research of the Wrangler, Heritage Rough Rider and Cimarron Plinkerton.

None of the reviews sounded like either of them would be of interest to me, though there are many positive reviews of all three. So today I went to my local indoor range/LGS to shoot the Single Six and stopped to take a look at the Heritage models they had in stock. I was still interested in getting another 22 but was not convinced I would like the Heritage. Then the manager told me they happened to have wranglers in stock so I looked them over. I really liked how it felt in my hand and I bought a black one with black plastic stocks.

I went in to the range and pulled out the Single Six and compared it to the Wrangler. Except for the finish, stocks and sights they looked to be the same size and dimensions. Still, the Wrangler felt good and, in fact, better to me than the Single Six. So I shot the Wrangler, a lot, from 3 to 15 yards.

Well, bottom line is I like the Wrangler more than the Single Six. I know it is cheaper, less robust, less refined, less attractive, etc. And I still love the Single Six. But I like the Wrangler better. Not sure why, since they are so similar, but I do. Maybe the different materials used affected the balance, despite similar dimensions. Sometimes they just get a weapon right and I think they did with the Wrangler.

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
sjs,

I own Single Sixes, Heritage RR's and Bearcats. I also have several Wranglers and the Wrangler is my go to gun for plinking or checking out late night noises here on the ranch.
Your "bottom line" said it perfectly and thanks for saying it. I feel the same way, Ruger did it right.

I agree completely. Thanks for your post!

Shorty

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Wrangler is a good gun. The lighter materials it's made from do give a very different balance and feel in the hand. That's what's important. It's lighter but recoil is not an issue with .22s, so it's easier to pack around as well!

But it's not too light to be able to hold a good sight picture if you use the sights, especially for longer shots.

It does have another advantage, it has a free spin cyl found on no other Ruger .22s. This makes it easier to load and unload because the chambers can be aligned with the loading gate trough easier.

The golden rule: buy and shoot what you like and handles best for you!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't miss the Single Six I used to have at all. I can shoot the Wrangler just as good and the cerakote finish handles rough treatment better.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks bro. Now, I sure wouldn't turn down a Single Six if I found a good deal on one, but the Wrangler does everything I need it do and then some!

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have a Single-Ten, for which my only complaint is that it takes a little longer to clean! Its accuracy is beyond phenomenal.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Everybody has to pick the revolver that best serves their needs and looks and feels best for them. For me it will always be the Single-six, but that doesn't mean that it should be the first choice for everyone else. Thankfully Ruger offers plenty of options for us.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I sold all of my single sixes because of heritage barkeeps (3 so far). Smooth 4 click and I don't even have to aim to make expended shotgunshells dance. It literally shoots from the hip and hits where I point it.

Bearcats and single sixes actions just suck to me out of the box.

I agree the Wrangler is better but I like the heritage leaps and bounds better. I got past the crappy heritage frame finish by hitting them with a scotch bright pad and making it look 100 years old in 5 minutes and never worrying about the finish again.

At the end of the day a 22 pistol should feel good, operate smoothly like glass, and hit.

If it doesn't feel like a new model vaquero out of the box, just a Ruger fishing weight to me.

Danny

Single-Sixer
Is the Wrangler basically just the Single Six by design, only made with cheaper materials to cut the cost?

Danny

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Danny said:
Is the Wrangler basically just the Single Six by design, only made with cheaper materials to cut the cost?

Danny

Almost. But the Wrangler has one design change improvement over the Single Six: a free spin cylinder for ease of aligning the chambers with the loading chute for loading and unloading. Not the full RIPS design of the New Vaqueros and Flat Tops, but similar.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I have 2 Wrangler's & am quite happy with them, but I wouldn't necessarily say that I prefer them to any of my Single Sixes...Especially my Old Model's. I'll definitely plan on picking up one of the 3-3/4" birdshead Wranglers when & if they ever hit the market?

I have a Wrangler and a Single Six. I have a love/hate relationship with the Wrangler- I love that it's what I would call a "beater"- I don't particularly care if it gets scratched or dinged. I like that. But with my big ol' hands, it just doesn't feel right. I replaced the plastic grips with some panels from a Blackhawk. Much better, but still not perfect. I'll probably end up putting a spare Bisley grip frame on it and see how I feel.

Now my Single Six holds my heart. I installed a RW Gripframes Dealer with micarta grips, and a Bisley trigger. The action is as smooth as butter, the trigger breaks like glass, and it is one hole accurate from 10 yards rested.

32465E37-787F-4F3F-80B8-01E03B4F5CD9.jpeg
1BFD7AB5-F2DB-4D88-8FF4-27DD7A100E01.jpeg

well I have 2 single sixes both from the late 70"s , one has a 5 1/2"barrel and the other a 6 1/2", a single 10, and a single nine. love them all, but I also have 2 Wranglers one has a 4 5/8' barrel and the other a 7 1/2" barrel and love both of them as well. Couldn't choose one over the others. I also have a SP101 4: 8 shot revolver that is awesome and very accurate. While confessing also have 1 mark 1, 2 mark 2's and 3 mark 4's.