Swap SR22 slides

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnr283

Bearcat
I want to put a vented slide from an SR22 Model 3654 on a Model 3622. I contacted Ruger, and they won't sell the vented slide separately. They also gave me their standard answer saying they don't recommend modifying their firearms. Can I swap the slides like mentioned above despite what Ruger says?

johnr283

Bearcat
It took me a year to find them both. Here's the Polar Blue SR22 with the vented slide.

Attachments

• Ruger SR22 Model 3653 BlackPolar Blue .22LR.jpg
    Ruger SR22 Model 3653 BlackPolar Blue .22LR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
... I contacted Ruger, and they won't sell the vented slide separately. They also gave me their standard answer saying they don't recommend modifying their firearms. Can I swap the slides like mentioned above despite what Ruger says?

I understand why Ruger states that "they don't recommend modifying their firearms" - potential product liability issues are a major concern for many American manufacturers. That being said (& FWIW), the P-series pistols are apparently highly modular; I've seen a P91 that also functioned with a slightly modified P89 top half (9mm & .30 Luger), as well as a slightly modified P90 top half (.45 ACP w/ OAL kept to 1.135", to feed through a P91 mag). In addition, I've seen modified P95 (safety model) slides used on P85, P91, and P93 frames.

All of which suggests that Ruger tends to use very similar (or identical) dimensions for certain parts on different models; whether swapping parts between models is safe or not, however, might require evaluation by a professional gunsmith.

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

Last edited: